Deer Scents ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Whut you all think & use? For the past number of year i use sparingly and only under right conditions.....rut etc. Sometimes i use nutin.

I am down to basically 2 products. I use Scent Shield Fall Blend as a spray cover-up and James Valley Full Rut as a rut lure. http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/pages/deerlures.html

Man, there are so many products out there its makes the perfume industry look like the Little League. :lol:

Don't use any scent to attrack them or cover mine. Still prefer to use a good cigar :D :D :D Sorry not what you were looking for.

I'm with RAF. I don't use anything. I just make sure the wind is in my face. I've heard guys having success with their own urine as an attractant. Quite a number of years ago Fred Trost (michigan Outdoors) experimented with this idea along with staight amonia. He had footage with some interesting results. The deer just loved it and couldn't keep their faces out of it. Go figure, at least you know its fresh!?

We Saskatchewan boys always have the wind in our face. One thing about Saskatchewan, we usually have lots of wind. :D And I'm am referring to the movement of air made by the weather. 8)

Loggy,

Have used Scent shield cover spray. Try to make sure wind is right and also have used the wafers that you pin on your hat- pine or fresh earth. Al

Tied apple scent once and was busted when he looked up for apples!! true.......spit

On another Board I read of using artificial vanilla extract as a cover-up. The poster said Kroger brand was the best. :lol: I know years ago i bot some of the "Cover-Up" product and it smelled like vanilla. It came in a 4 oz white container. Dont think it exits anymore.

You need to use something natural in your area. Some common mistakes that a lot of peopl make with scents are using apple scent where there are no apple trees, using Fox urinin tree stands...

I usualy use all natural scents. I boil a mixture of soil, acorns and leaves in creek water for my cover scent. When hunting I always have a clean plastic pop bottel in my pack. When I field dress a deer I drain the blatter into the bottel, and that is the primary attractant scent I use.

HighTechRedneck said:
You need to use something natural in your area. Some common mistakes that a lot of peopl make with scents are using apple scent where there are no apple trees, using Fox urinin tree stands....

I agree. I usually am 15' up in a tree, but I still try and use a stand that has the wind in my favor. If the wind isn't right, then I don't use the stand. I'll use coon urine as a cover scent on my boots when walking to the stand - there are LOTS of coon in the area.

Where I bow hunt the most I do not exactly have the option of hunting a stand because of wind direction. Thats why I use a lot of cover scent. Coon scent is good, but with the way I go thru the scent in archery season I am much better off making the cover scent that I described.

HighTechRedneck said:
You need to use something natural in your area. Some common mistakes that a lot of peopl make with scents are using apple scent where there are no apple trees, using Fox urinin tree stands...

I usualy use all natural scents. I boil a mixture of soil, acorns and leaves in creek water for my cover scent. When hunting I always have a clean plastic pop bottel in my pack. When I field dress a deer I drain the blatter into the bottel, and that is the primary attractant scent I use.

It sounds to me that you got it going on with the scent making. I agree with you that it is better to use scent that you have in that particular area. I've tried them all, it seems and the deer deffinatly know when something is out of place. i tried racoon urine once as a cover scent and had three different bucks walk in and look staight up at me and bolt.

Back