Deer Sightings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
I'm up here at my cabin and there are 2 real nice buck wandering around. What I found unusual is that neither one is in velvet. One that walked by me a few minutes ago, a 5 x 6, had a little strand of velvet hanging from the base of the antlers. The other one had no velvet at all. The slightly smaller one was feeding at the back of the cabin. Seems a little early. Oh :eek:, it must be fall. Because of the time of year and fewer cottage owners are around the bears have moved in looking for easy meals. Just saw a small one running between cabins :eek:. The seasons are changing :(

I have been scouting around the property and not real impressed with what I have found so far. I followed their usual routes and never saw anything more then a few hoof prints. So then I started cutting across paths to see if they have changed their usual trails. I found a few small trails but nothing impressive enough to make me move stands.

I did find an excellent bear marker tree. This has to be a good sized bear to have made those kind of marks. He's got big prints, and really tore the trunk of the tree up good. People have reported seeing a real large bear on and near my property. I saw a nice bear a month or more ago, but he was over a mile from my place.

I was talking to a neighbor and he asked if I had seen any wolves. I told him I had not. He then explained he has been seeing two wolves around his pond on a far to common basis. He also said all the deer he normally gets to watch have disappeared. This might be the reason the deer have changed their patterns.

We've had a lot of problems with wolves in the area. Last year the bear hunters started loosing dogs and were actually advised to stay out of one area because of the size of the wolf pack there...

The wolves definetly change deer habits, At last count 85 dogs have been killed and the DNR has paid about $144,000 to the owners of the dogs.
Most were bear hounds but a couple were bird dogs.
Cayagad were is your land?
Redclub

I also thaught they were losing their velvet a bit early. I have 3 small bucks on trail cam that have already shed their velvet. I also saw a med. sized buck in the neighbors alfalfa field last thurs. that had started shedding it. He still had about 1/2 of it on his antlers, and they were covered in blood so I am sure that he just started scrapping it off that day.

Back