Direct Ignition -- Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can load them on a spent module. Aim the rifle DOWN and screw in a primed module. I thought one of the vendors offered just the bolt (module) that had not been machined. It was just a "dummy" module.
that doesn't satisfy me, it might others

Loaded some vials with 100 grain Blackhorn, and headed out. It was breezy, and 16° so no shooting at paper. Did shoot through the wounded chronograph; results seem reasonable. Once again CCI rifle primers were used. Used vegetable fiber wad. Deep Curl 250 grain bullets were again sized, and shot.

2147 fps

Average speed = 2181 fps

All my questions are answered. Shooting is clean. The modules seal real good. Nothing was used on the threads; rear seal did the job, and well. Loading is easy, both at home, and in the field. System works.

THANK YOU! We Really Appreciate All Your Time & Effort!
It appears the Higher the Powder Charges the Tighter the Velocity Spread.
How does the 2,181 fps with the 100 Gr V BH 209, 250 Gr Bullet & CCI Std Rifle Primer compare to the Fed 209A Primer Velocity & do you feel that is the Max Load with DI in an Omega?

All my questions are answered. Shooting is clean. The modules seal real good. Nothing was used on the threads; rear seal did the job, and well. Loading is easy, both at home, and in the field. System works.

Would you use it while hunting? I have DI for my Accura and probably won't use it hunting, but i love it at the bench.

THANK YOU! We Really Appreciate All Your Time & Effort!
It appears the Higher the Powder Charges the Tighter the Velocity Spread.
How does the 2,181 fps with the 100 Gr V BH 209, 250 Gr Bullet & CCI Std Rifle Primer compare to the Fed 209A Primer Velocity & do you feel that is the Max Load with DI in an Omega?

The reason the large rifle primers were used is because you wrote you had a way more of them than magnum primers. They sure seem to work just fine.

One thing we do 'know' for sure is the data measured today using 100 grain Blackhorn is for 250 grain bullets in the CHART near the same as the speeds listed for 120 grain of Blackhorn.

Unless there is more data you wish for, we will mail your paraphernalia back to you soon.

How about you @billyboy*, will you use it hunting this year?

Yes, I have only used the DI with Smokeless & I'm Very Grateful to Ron for the BH 209 Omega Testing.
DI is Not as Cumbersome as some make it out to be. A lot times I have (2) rifles in the Blind during Crop Depredation Hunts so it really doesn't matter.
Hopefully I've talked Ron into keeping that Plug 😁

Last edited:
One thing we do 'know' for sure is the data measured today using 100 grain Blackhorn is for 250 grain bullets in the CHART near the same as the speeds listed for 120 grain of Blackhorn.

Ron, if I’m reading the Blackhorn chart correctly, it presents data for .50 barrels. Perhaps the velocity increase you observed is related to the smaller bore dimension (as well as the DI)?

Has anyone here tested the bore variable by running this test: .45 bullet using a constant BH209 charge (say 100 grV) in a .45 vs a .50 rifle? I have to think the pressure and velocity would differ at least a little.

Sorry the Western Powder .45 Cal BH 209 Load Data File Failed

Last edited:
Took a 50 caliber rifle out this morning, and shot the Omega direct ignition breech plug.

Load is 100 grain Blackhorn, 250 grain Deep Curl, Crush Rib sabot, and CCI large rifle primer.

Measured shots:

2073 fps

average = 2061 fps

45caliber.jpg

You’re the man Ron! Much appreciated! I was going to go out this weekend and run this myself. Your results show an increased velocity of 120 FPS in a .45 vs a .50 with the same BH209 powder charge, bullet and primer. Am I missing anything?

E0A42429-8241-48D7-A15E-62EB832644B3.jpeg5EF17ED2-D151-4EF8-BFAC-B181BE37744D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back