Omega Breech Plug Option

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years the factory Omega plug worked good using the W209 primers. One could measure the primers, and take out them that were 0.302" or longer. These primers were long enough to 'crush' a bit, and made a tight seal when the trigger was pulled. Ignition was clean, and no soot found it's way into the innards of the rifle.

This left the shorter primers behind, and kinda without value. Those shorter primers were used up at the range by using o-rings to help make a good seal. Nowadays the W209 primers come without the longer primers; they average shorter so one no longer can manage a good seal with the factory breech plug. This requires one use o-rings for to make a good seal. This can be frustrating, but does work, and one just shoots up the shorter W209 primers.

One solution is to quit the W209 primers, and use primers that average shorter, in a longer custom breech plug. The CCI primers, and the 209A primers are fairly uniform in length, and average around 0.297" long.

Bestill Creations sells a custom breech plug that can be milled to make a perfect seal using the CCI, and 209A primers. One can also have a plug made to seal with the STS primers, which are the most uniform primer, and the shortest primer. The STS primers average around 0.294", and are very consistent.

The Bestill Creations breech plug is sweet! All primers are held deeper in the socket for better support. The plug has a tungsten carbide bushing that provides the flash hole. The flash hole will not wear out any time soon.

The Bestill Creations breech plug is more costly than the OEM plug on sale.

Currently three breech plugs are being used in Omega rifles. The OEM breech plug is used to shoot the longer W209 primers with a tight seal. A Bestill Creations breech plug is used to shoot the CCI, and the 209A primers with a tight seal. A second Bestill Creations breech plug is used to shoot the STS primers with a tight seal.

The OEM breech plug will be tossed when the flash hole wears out, and replaced with another purchased on sale as long as the longer W209 primers last.

The Bestill Creations breech plugs will not wear out anytime soon.

The Omega breech plug primer socket is already too shallow to suit me. You will make it worse when you shim it. My vote is nay. This is something not to be recommended.

Regarding the shimming of Knight plugs. Have done it, and used a shimmed plug, and know it can work. However, a Bestill Creations Knight breech plug works really really well. Bestill Creations breech plug works the best, really it does.

My life has zero hassles regarding ignition of powder in Knight, and Omega muzzle loading rifles, and it is a very wonderful feeling. Jeff', breech plugs work with zero issues.

The only rifles that work real good using shims, in my opinion, is the CVA rifles when one shims the firing pin bushing. That works good, but making the primer socket less deep by using shims seems counter productive.

Just my thoughts just for me, for me

Ron , I think I recall reading you noticed difference in flash hole size due to wear after 400 shots ,did I recall correctly?

No, no flash hole wear in any of the three plugs from Bestill Creations. The tungsten carbide bushing flash holes don't grow; they they shrink. One needs to clean them from time to time.

I should have been more specific, the factory omega plug is what I thought got approximately 400 shots before signs of wear .

The factory Omega plug shows signs of wear after 25 shots, unless one is using rifle primers. That is if my memory is correct. Not really sure. After 400 shots it would be worn out with a flash hole over 0.037". Not positive about the numbers. Wouldn't put money on the numbers, but they seem right??

Back