Dissassembly of the Thompson Center Encore.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
Here's how to do it:

1. Ensure the gun is unloaded. Drop the ramrod in the barrel to be sure. Set the ramrod aside.

2. First step is to remove both forend screws.
andr3a112.jpg

3. Depress the trigger guard to open the action.
andr3a113.jpg

4. Tap hinge pin out of action.
andr3a114.jpg

5. To remove breechplug: a small setscrew will need to be loosened to remove the extractor (finger pointed to setscrew). After the extractor is removed, use 7/16th's socket wrench or supplied wrench to remove breechplug.
andr3a124.jpg

Here's the Encore, disassembled, sans the the extractor I threw away a long time ago
:wink:
andr3a122.jpg

Part II was covered here somewhere. With barrel removed from action, press the mechanical interlock (1028) toward the hammer - at the lower rear of the action opening (right side if pointed away from you). This allows you to cock the hammer (1029), which you should now do. Holding the action level, loosen and remove firing pin assembly retaining screw (1018). Carefully remove the assembly body (1019) by working it forward. Pushing the firing pin (1021) should provide enough force to start the movement. Be careful not to lose the firing pin (1021) or its return spring (1020) and note orientation of spring to pin (cone end to cone end).

Clean and inspect 1018, 1019, 1020, and 1021 for burrs or corrosion. Apply light protective oil to all surfaces. Clean the open hole in the action where the firing pin assembly normally resides. I like to put a light film of grease on the surfaces of the assembly body before reinstalling. Reassemble in reverse order. Using a small diameter object to protrude forward through the retaining screw hole helps to align the assembly body so the screw will then be easy to install. Tighten the retaining screw securely (but no need to really crank on it).

Clicking the pic above will give you an even larger pic to save for reference.

Part III is removing the pistol grip cap, loosening the action bolt and removing the action from buttstock. Thoroughly flush and brush entire action, dry completely and apply a light coating of good gun oil to all parts. I won't tell you what I use to flush as most would think I'm crazy (WD-40 :wink: ) for using it. But it does a good job, provides a pressurized stream of solvent and I not only wipe it out afterwards but use pressurized air to to all but totally remove any remaining. I've yet to see any buildup of gunk or any negative impact. I also remove and wipe down the action retaining bolt and its washers as well as wiping out the interior of that area of the buttstock. Reassemble in reverse order.

Looking at the side of the action you will see three simple pins and one threaded pin with a screw slot. Make sure that threaded pin is tightened firmly but not overtightened. You can actually cause sloppiness and/or a gritty feel in the operation of your rifle's action by improper installation of that screw. Again, it should just be snugged up securely but no more.

If you want to go deeper into the action so far as disassembly - get Mike Bellm's nice download http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/autorun.exe and view it for guidance. All Encore owners should have that file for reference.

Part IV could be replacing the lug spring. It's simple but difficult. :wink:

Ditto on Mike Bellm's download on the action disassembly. That's how I learned how to take apart (and put back together :wink: ) my action. I don't think you can get any more detailed instructions than that.

MCARBO has a good video on YouTube for installing their Encore spring kit that covers disassemble well

Back