LHR Redemption Initial Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
My Redemption came a couple days ago and I finally had a chance to open it up and take some pictures. Here it goes.

I unwrapped the plastic and saw this
8596023897_ee41bd92f4.jpg

Which opened to this...
8596018991_018f6184ae.jpg

Sights, ramrod cleaning attachment, and sight screws/plug screws
8597120474_e84c15084b.jpg

What they call the primer adapter, essentially a breech plug
8595986865_dd79d9832c.jpg

Breech end of the barrel, rifled the full length of the barrel
8597085786_fe4d625e6f.jpg

No QLA
8595980961_9d7864d7ff.jpg

Forend off
8597077658_7a82d546f9.jpg

Frame and stock
8597075136_79591daa19.jpg

All put together
8597054012_5c4bfe17c7.jpg

I had a set of Durasight Quick Release rings laying around and put them on the Cabelas Powderhorn 3-10 muzzleloader scope and got it adjusted like it should be.
8595943243_4427074da5.jpg

I had plenty of room for my thumb to manipulate the breeching lever without any hangups. I dropped a few primers in and didn't feel like the scope was in the way at all.

Starting at the beginning, the packaging is good. The instruction manual is pretty standard, starting with the standard legal jargon and how not to blow yourself up. Next it covers the basics of muzzleloading and assembly and disassembly, and finishes with recommended loads.
The multi tool is plastic. At first I was slightly bothered by this, but then after playing with it a little I decided plastic is probably pretty good. Metal would just add a lot of weight to a pocket and would likely just cause scratches.
Next I pulled out the barrel assembly. The forend is held on by the sling swivel stud. When I first put it on and screwed it down tight, it was sideways. A real good squeeze on the end of the forend allowed another quarter turn. I was worried that it would loosen real easy, but that didn't seem to be the case. To loosen the stud I had to squeeze the forend again. I think it will be ok. Assembly/disassembly is as easy as it looks like it should
be. Hook the lug on the pin in the action and close it. Once close the forend slides on and the swivel screw tightens down. The forend seems to hold on real solid and doesn't wobble around or anything. I thought it might but this doesn't seem to be the case.
It appears the barrel and locking lug is put together using the ?stub? process. I first learned about this when I was looking at custom barrels for the Encore and Contender platforms. Essentially the barrel is threaded into a machined locking assembly. This is supposed to be better than welding any sort of lugs on the barrel as it reduces inconsistencies caused by temperature fluctuations during the welding process. Barrel to frame lockup is very solid on mine.
The trigger on mine is good. There?s just a little take up, but you can definitely feel a solid point before the trigger breaks. I don?t have any sort of scale but it?s not very heavy ? definitely lighter than my Pro Hunter was. I?m happy with the trigger.
I was interested in the striker slide. They advertise it as not having any sort of click or anything when you engage it. There isn?t. I was surprised. I thought there would be something. Once the striker is cocked, you can push the button on top if you don?t want to shoot. Opening the barrel also decocks the striker. One note here that I?m not thrilled with- once you do pull the trigger, the slide still shows that it?s cocked and doesn?t slide back to the uncocked position until you either break the action or push the decocking button. Not really a big deal I suppose, just wasn?t what I was expecting. Otherwise it?s good.
Wood to metal fit is good, with the wood being just a little proud of the frame everywhere, but it?s even. The finish is good and for ?plain? walnut it has a nice grain pattern. There are no visible screws anywhere on the gun which I like. It looks clean.
The gun includes Williams fiber optic sights and comes with a scope base mounted. It also includes plug screws to plug the holes for either the open sights or the scope base, whichever you?re not going to use.
There?s a couple things I don?t love about the gun. I already mentioned the striker. Also the trigger guard and the black piece at the back of the forend where it mates to the frame are both plastic. It seems solid and I don?t worry about it breaking, just more the principal of it. I suppose it?s possible that if the piece on the forend were metal it would be noisy when opening and would also wear on the frame a lot faster. And the trigger guard is pretty large, which would translate to weight. I can only assume those are their reasons for using both, though I don?t know for sure. The fit was a little different at first. It wasn?t uncomfortable, but it wasn?t quite as good as it could be. I think a lot of it is that I got used to the very upright grip of my Pro Hunter (that gun fit me pretty well), and this is a much more traditional style grip. I think I will adjust just fine. Yesterday I played with it some then put it away. Today once work settled down some I got it back out and shouldered it a couple more times and it felt better than I remembered it the night before. I think once I get used to it being a different gun it will be just fine.
Overall, I?m really pretty happy with it thus far. I was going to wait to post any sort of review until after I shot it, but it looks like it will be a few days before I get a chance to make smoke, so this is at least an overview of it. I really think it will be a shooter and I look forward to shooting it. I also think it will be great to clean and I?m actually kind of excited about cleaning it. I?ll provide a range report as soon as I can get out to shoot.
I hope somebody found it helpful. Sorry it got a little long, er, a lot long. If somebody wants to see more pictures of it or something more specific let me know. I?ll be happy to take some additional pictures, though my next few days are pretty busy so it might take me a day or two.

Great detailed review ! Keep us posted on how she shoots ...

I bet you that a good gunsmith or machinist could make you a metal trigger guard. You could probably change the profile of the guard if you dont like the shape of the factory version.

Honestly I don't really mind the shape of the trigger guard. When I first saw it I can say that I wasn't in love with it, but it's kinda growing on me. It would be very roomy for a gloved finger. And it's not flimsy by any means, so me complaining about it being plastic is more nitpicking than anything.

Congrats! That is a fine looking gun. Keep the reports coming.

SuperKirby

I know what you mean. I am also reluctant to change something like that "just because". However I do have to admit that I have a thing about plastic trigger guards. I have changed them out whenever I have a firearm that has them. Stupid I know.

By the way, when I first saw the pics all those weeks ago, I didn't care for the shape of the trigger guard. But like you as I have continued to look at the pics, it has sort of grown on me.

However it is a great looking rifle and I am thrilled to see another American ML maker on the market. I have no doubt that it will be a great shooter. I wonder if it will become your favorite over time?

Congrats on the great new "toy"! :applause:

SuperKirby

Thanks a ton for the pictures and the write up...

Hope it is a great rifle for you. When do you think you might get to shoot it?

I'm hoping sometime in the next few days. It's supposed to be pretty nice today and then rain this weekend, so hopefully that will get rid of some of the snow. I'm planning to shoot early next week.

Looks like a re-purposed single-shot shotgun. Others have used a similar design also. I like the look of the trigger guard, yet I would catch that front part on something. That's my issue though.

Can't wait for the range report.

Thanks for the report, looking forward to the range session. Could you take a close up shot of the ...hope i use right terminology...lug on the barrel and the pin on the receiver where the two mate together. I had a traditions muzzy with a similar setup and it was a sloppy fit which i believe caused stringing of my shots. Thats the only concern I had about the rifle when I first saw it online.

Yes thats it, thank you. Looks like a more beefy setup than the one I had on the traditions. Also answered my other question, looks like the area around the firing pin has a removable bushing to add shims if need be to eliminate blowback around the primer, does that seem to be the case?

It looks removable, thought I haven't tried yet. It looks like it will probably be Wednesday before I can get out to shoot and I'll see how dirty it gets, then go from there before even trying to take it apart.

I just received my Redemption as well (black synthetic though). For the most part, I 100% agree with everything said. There is a little more creep in the trigger than I like, but it's not terrible. I'm going to have to either get a thicker recoil pad or add a spacer though. I'm 6'4" with long limbs. If I don't add something, I'll most likely punch my nose with my thumb when it goes off. I'm not sure about the length of the ramrod. I think with the lighter loads, there won't be much sticking out of the barrel when loading. But that's just a guess right now. The way the rod is threaded, finding an extension to fit might be difficult if its needed. Since I spitpatch between shots, I think it will be too short. Using the supplied rod extension is fine for cleaning, but not while hunting IMO.

I'm hoping to get to the range either this weekend or next for trials. I'm hoping I can use a similar load to what I use in my BD's (110gr 777 in one and 130gr 777 in the other with a 270gr Speer Deep Curl). I have some Blackhorn I'll try as well, but I absolutely love that 270gr Speer and want to stay with it.

:D

Nice looking rifle there partner :!: even the trigger guard :!: :) :)

Ray.......... :wink:

ShawnT said:
Banerbird,

Might check out one of these. I use one when hunting for swabbing and short starting. Just take the silver adapter off and screw it on the end of the ramrod.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104436180

I bought about a dozen of them and they work but........... the one pictured in this link, IMO, is much better and lasts much longer. Great bullet starter and heavier built. I can't tell the difference from the one Knight sold years ago. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/inde ... sion-a1335

Gave the dozen plastic ones away.....

ShawnT wrote:
Banerbird,

Might check out one of these. I use one when hunting for swabbing and short starting. Just take the silver adapter off and screw it on the end of the ramrod.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104436180

ENCORE50A Wrote:

I bought about a dozen of them and they work but........... the one pictured in this link, IMO, is much better and lasts much longer. Great bullet starter and heavier built. I can't tell the difference from the one Knight sold years ago. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/inde ... sion-a1335

Gave the dozen plastic ones away.....

That would be a more durable option. I do like the TC version for hunting since it don't weigh anything but I will have to keep my eyes open for one of those. I still have the T-handle part that came with my MK-95 and use it all the time, you're right this T-handle looks just like my old Knight.

Latest posts

Back