Dove planting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I am interested in planting dove food for shooting over this fall in Ohio. Can anyone advise the type of seed, procedure for planting, time to seed etc. for Ohio. Thanks

JIM CONTACT OUR LOCAL ODNR OFFICE IN FINDLAY AND SEE WHAT THEY PLANT IN OUR STATE WILDLIFE AREAS.

I KNOW THEY PLANT DOVE FEILDS AT KILL DEER PLAINS ON A YEARLY BASIS. THEY SHOULD BE MORE THAN HELPFUL.

I got it planted on Sunday, May 6. First rain last night so nothing is up yet but hopefully soon. I planted brown sorghum and sunflowers, I could not get millet in time so I will add that next year. We will see how it all turns out.
I planted 50 pounds of sorghum and about 12 pounds of sunflowers.

Let us know what happens with the field. I drive delivery truck in the summer and see a lot of "crop" fields with plenty of doves. Very tasty.

Unfortunately since I planted we have had very little rain. It looks as if I have more weeds than anything. Perhaps more luck next year.
I am going to try to plant some beans today for winter food, this will be more like second crop beans and it is still dry so they may not do to well either. I am glad I do not have to rely on those for a living.

Latest posts

Back