Encore Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad gave me a Thompson Contender pistol in the early 90s. When I set out to buy a rifle barrel for it, a well known person in the TC clan told me to get an Encore to handle the larger calibers which I was looking for. I was told to stay away from the magnums in the break actions because of possible frame stretch. As I look through the classifieds and auction websites, I see many magnum Encore barrels for sale. I doubt the metallurgy has changed much since the 90s so I am wondering if these custom barrel makers know something we don't?? Or is the $$ worth more than the truth??

A 300 mag on an Encore must be brutal if a 12 gauge slug barrel on an Encore is any comparison.

Just like the day after the 44mag came out. They shot it and found out what recoil was!! They brought it, shot it, and returned it.

I honestly don’t know if the frame stretching thing has been debunked, but I’ve shot 300 WSM and 9.3x74r barrels a lot with no ill effects. I’m now playing with load development for a 12 ga turkey barrel, and if that kicking SOB doesn’t stretch a frame, nothing will.

I put a Bergara, medium contour .300 Win Mag barrel on one of my Encore frames. I would not shoot it until I had a Witt Machine clamp-on brake made for it . One of the best things I ever did. Shooting 180 grain Barnes VOR-TX ammo. The brake reduces recoil to be comparable to that of a .243 rifle.
Loud yes, but a pleasure to shoot.

MGM barrels had a video out and they mentioned frame stretching with certain cartridges. Remember recoil is not the same as pressure. Sure a 12 ga turkey load kicks the snot out of you, but it is because of the large payload not the chamber pressure which would "stretch" a frame.

I put a Bergara, medium contour .300 Win Mag barrel on one of my Encore frames. I would not shoot it until I had a Witt Machine clamp-on brake made for it . One of the best things I ever did. Shooting 180 grain Barnes VOR-TX ammo. The brake reduces recoil to be comparable to that of a .243 rifle.
Loud yes, but a pleasure to shoot.
I had a 300 WM Blaser barrel with a Vias brake, and it was the same. I’ve never been a fan of brakes because of the noise, but a good set of muffs or plugs solves that problem.

MGM barrels had a video out and they mentioned frame stretching with certain cartridges. Remember recoil is not the same as pressure. Sure a 12 ga turkey load kicks the snot out of you, but it is because of the large payload not the chamber pressure which would "stretch" a frame.
Agreed on the chamber pressure. The long lived 270 has been pushing the 65,000 psi and used in Encore barrels since their inception. Would love to put some strain gauges on the frame and let loose with some heavy hitters.

Last edited:
I got a MGM 26" Bellm chamber bull barrel 357 Max on my Encore frame. That's the only barrel that has ever been on that frame. It's all I need.

Latest posts

Back