Experience with IMR-SR4759

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
Due to availability issues, I've been having trouble getting a hold of AA5744 or VV N120. It appears, I may be limited to IMR and Hodgdon powders. I talked to RAF (also from Saskatchewan) and he recomends IMR-SR4759 and uses 250 XTPs. Does anyone have experience with 4759 and 300 gr bullets, or is it best suited for lighter bullets(faster burn rate), much the same way N110 is?

Also, what about IMR-4198? Has there ever been any load data for this powder? It seems like it would fall into the same realm as Reloader 7 and AA2015 and be a candidate for 300-350gr bullets.

Deernut, my HB hates 5744 and I have been using 4759. Depending on the outside temp I use 43 grs. of 4759 behind 250gr SST with HPH 12 sabots and Winchester 209's. At 100 yds. a nickle will cover my groups. I have tried to shoot 300 gr. SST's with 4759 but have not found the "sweet spot" load for it yet. I have achieved groups in the 1 1/2 - 2" range but for me that's not good enough. Maybe some of the other guys can give you better info for the 300 gr. :)

So, does 50grs of IMR-4198 behind a .452 300gr bullet sound reasonable. Any idea what the internal ballistics would be like. Does it break the 35,000 psi barrier?

Smokeless Muzzleloading Inc. lists a 50 grain load of IMR-4198 with the 300 grain .452 bullet at 2000 feet per second. This is in a 28 inch barrel. Also the 300 grain .458 bullet with Rl-7, 65 grains=2175. The .458/300 grain bullet is shown with 52 grains of IMR-4198 and a velocity of 2075 feet per second. They like 2015 with the 300 grain Barnes XS bullet, 67 grains = 2325 feet per second. I have found that the savage will take the SMI loads but the converse is not necessarily true. I have shot the savage with 49 grains of IMR-4198 and the Hornady .458 HP. and the expansion on deer was not very great. I believe that the 300 gr. Hornady XTP would work better.

DeerNut said:
I talked to RAF (also from Saskatchewan) and he recomends IMR-SR4759 and uses 250 XTPs. Does anyone have experience with 4759 and 300 gr bullets, or is it best suited for lighter bullets(faster burn rate), much the same way N110 is?

I'd say it is better for 250 class bullets. The only real problem is consistency-- from can-to-can it jumps around, better bring a chrono with you to the range if you change cans.

Western Powders ships to Canada, and only do they own Accurate Arms, they are master distributors for Vihtavouri, Hodgdon, etc., etc.

They split cases as well-- any gun shop can order from them: http://www.westernpowders.com/

Randy, you're like right but out here in Saskatchewan the major and sometimes only gun shop is Wholesale sports and they're reluctant to order powder other than what they carry. Can't explain why. Of all the options available 4759 seems the best for now.

The only real problem is consistency-- from can-to-can it jumps around

If SR4759 is all you can get, buy several cans of the same lot. Shouldn't be any problem.

I've read IMR-SR4759 can be temp sensitive. As you may well know, Saskatchewan can be pretty cold. I'd hate to wait 'til november to find out the powder loses accuracy in cold temps and then start from scratch.

Anyone had this problem?

If SR4759 is all you can get, buy several cans of the same lot. Shouldn't be any problem.

That's what I did. :p

As far as temp sensitive, I don't know. My MLII is not my only hunting tool. I use a bow in September. Muzzle loading season is in October and the temps not too bad then. November brings colder weather and the centerfire rifle season. Have a Remginton auto loader in 30-06 and a Savage in 243.
Last season took a whitetail buck with the Savage in October and Temperature right around the freezing mark. Don't know how the 4759 will work in Sub Zero temperatures.

DeerNut, i only have had experience with 2 8 oz. cans (differents lots) of the 4759. The first can shot fine but the second can was a nightmare to say the least. Temp was a little over 60 if i recollect. I dumped 2nd can.

I was shootin 43 grains with 250 sst & short black sabot w/win 209 primers. Sabots were blowing and I couldnt keep a shot on the target at 100 yds. Got tremendous plastic fouling in barrel. Didnt recover any sabots. I have done alot of ML shooting and this was a xperience to forget especially just before hunting season.

Likely a freak occurence but will never happen again to me...I'm back with AA 5744.

60-65 grs h322 with a 300 barnes original shoot lights out 2300 fps Plus.

Latest posts

Back