Finally Found One

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Ruger made Marlin 1895 SBL for several years now. Always a day late and a dollar short. Refused to pay inflated crazy auction prices at on line gun sites.
Got a call yesterday afternoon from the Gettysburg Trading Post that they had a brand new one showed up. Asked me if I still wanted it. Got there as fast as I could.
Quality built rifle. Could not be happier. Can’t wait to see how it shoots.IMG_5878.jpegIMG_5879.jpegIMG_5883.jpegIMG_5881.jpeg

Beautiful rifle. I love the gray on stainless theme.

I had a Rossi 30-30 lever using the same color scheme. It shot only so-so, but I loved the looks of the gun and held onto it for a long time. I'd still have it if it had been a 45-70.

Sweet. I have one also along with my Marlin Guide Gun. Both in 45-70.
My scoped Guide Gun gets a diet of 300 gr Hornady slugs but the SBL remains with the ghost ring sights and shoots my cast 405 gr FPs.

That sure is nice, I was in Grices a few weeks back and they had one like that and one in walnut. Price was around 1500 I believ.

I bought my 45/70 back in the 1970s when they were relatively "cheap". There weren't all these variations in those days so mine is just a plain-Jane version. But all the deer that fell to it attests to the inherent "goodness" these rifles possess.

DSC00434.jpg

You may notice the "shotgun" butt plate and this is why it's there. This rifle came with a CURVED butt plate that could hurt with factory loads. The only load it consumes is a Speer 400 grain JSP with enough 3031 to hit 1800 fps. This load is accurate in the extreme and has recorded 5-shot groups - I can't begin to shoot like that any longer - of 1" at 100 yards. I had to take off my spurs a few years ago so it will hunt no more.

I bought my 45/70 back in the 1970s when they were relatively "cheap". There weren't all these variations in those days so mine is just a plain-Jane version. But all the deer that fell to it attests to the inherent "goodness" these rifles possess.

DSC00434.jpg
It’s still a looker.

Back