Finally got a good feral hog area to hunt.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
In my area they are not that bad but i just got a lease on a close area with a heavy population of hogs.

The owner wants them dead but is willing to leave a female or two to supply some off season hunting. They shot over 20 last weekend and i will be on the next hunt. Population is estimated at close to 200 on his land.

They "drive" them with 4 wheelers and then slaughter them. I will be using a more sporting method but its all good to me. :yeah:

All i had to do was sign a waiver in case im injured by a hog. :D

good way to test bullets and a better way to fill the freezer. Good luck.

cayuga said:
good way to test bullets and a better way to fill the freezer. Good luck.

Bullet testing/practice was my main goal but it looks like i will need a new larger freezer too.

The odd part is the land owner and his friend dont eat them. They just gather them up after the slaughter in a skid loader and chuckem in a hole. In Mo. feral hogs are "shoot on sight" as per the Mo. Conservation Dept and remains if not eaten ect are supposed to be buried.

I work on his computers and i showed him mine at work. He saw a pic of my GMB54 on the desktop and said he had no idea i enjoyed hunting or MLs. One thing led to another and now no later than August i should have a nice place setup. :D

This is the first place close ive seen any feral hogs available so im excited. Plus any meat from other kills is mine for the asking. :yeah:

I think im going to go a bit overkill at first and try my Rem 50cal 385gr CLHPs in my 54cals.

Wild female hog makes fantastic table fare! Boars are another matter for me...I don't bother with any boar meat. A 40 to 60 pound female...smoked over charcoal and some green hickory is as good as it gets!

The odd part is the land owner and his friend dont eat them. They just gather them up after the slaughter in a skid loader and chuckem in a hole. In Mo. feral hogs are "shoot on sight" as per the Mo. Conservation Dept and remains if not eaten ect are supposed to be buried.

Seems like a waste.There are no family's that could use the meat?

Good show on scoring land to hunt on...I'm still working a friend of a friend to let me take care of their piggy problem.

Cell

SABOTMAKER said:
Wild female hog makes fantastic table fare! Boars are another matter for me...I don't bother with any boar meat. A 40 to 60 pound female...smoked over charcoal and some green hickory is as good as it gets!

Thats funny you mentioned hickory. We lost a big old tree in one of the last storms and now i got more than i can burn including camp fires.

Its my preferred wood for outdoor cooking and smoking usually.

cell said:

Seems like a waste.There are no family's that could use the meat?

Good show on scoring land to hunt on...I'm still working a friend of a friend to let me take care of their piggy problem.

Cell

Its a huge waste IMO but to him they are vermin let loose by a nearby land owner. Vermin or not someone will eat or use almost anything i kill and i eat everything i hunt...minus what i give to those in need. :D

I normally will not hunt just for sport but sometimes an invasive species needs to be kept in check or eliminated. I should be able to test the bullets i wanted without excessive waste and hopefully keep a "managed" population after that.

He wants them all gone so i dont know how all this is going to work out.

Managed?

Lol....I don't think hogs can be managed.Not enough hunters.I might be going out this Friday,and weekend to find me a piggy.My buddy got word that there's a herd(is that what you call it?) of em real close to our deer,and bear spot...go figure,and I'm in northern Cali.Damn things seem to be all over the place.

Hopefully you,and I both get to put some ribs on the smoker.

Good hunting.

Cell

Back