First deer of the year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
It’s been a rough season for me so far, limited time and maximum bad luck have plagued me since the beginning of archery. This evening looked to be more of the same as we pulled into the property and found the area I intended to hunt flooded from overnight rain. I went to my second choice of a ground blind in a hay field. About 25 minuets before dark I spotted a deer across the field, 300 yards away. I confirmed with the binoculars that it was a small buck. I watched the buck feed and it dropped into a depression out of sight. As light faded I grabbed my grunt call in attempt to get him across the field a little quicker. A couple minutes later I caught movement to my left and saw another buck almost in my lap. I stretched the muzzleloader out with a 21 yard shot and he didn’t take another step. T/C triumph, .452/300gr XTP, crush rib sabot, 110 gr of 777. He turned out to be a little 5x2, with a small kicker off his base. Thankful to have some meat in the freezer.
095401cc7c0fbed7154df9bf64367f9e.jpg
39f5b142bc3fbe86a066cfdcdbcb34ad.jpg
412b69b514f765b08b3eac15e18e57c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: First deer of the year

Good eater there. Congrats on the take.

Its rained every day of our season thus far. We began on Saturday and the rain started mid-afternoon. Yesterday we had over 2" in what was a day long drip. It was raining right off at 5 this morning so I held off after seeing a clearing coming about 9 and left right when it began to let up, but was off the hunt by 12:30 again as another round moved in and its still raining from it. The forecast suggests it'll still be raining when I should be leaving before daylight, so I'll go vote then see what the weather is going to do.

Congrats! I like the smile on your partner there.

Made even more special with a hunting partner like that, I'm sure. Good on ya.

Back