My first day out deer hunting with a muzzleloader success!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeCrumble

Reaction score
I shot my first muzzleloader deer today on my first morning out hunting in Southern Ontario Canada on public land. It's a small buck fawn should be tasty! I used my CVA Wolf with a .44XTP 240gr 123 yard shot. I couldn't see nothing but a cloud of smoke but when it started to clear I seen the directing the other two deer ran followed it and found a nice blood trail. The little guy only went about 35 yard.

Attachments

• Deer wolf muzzy.jpg
    Deer wolf muzzy.jpg
    990.3 KB · Views: 0
Way to go, looks like a well placed shot. I’m also from southern Ontario (92b) and have only missed one muzzle loader season since it began in 1982. All the doubters said, oh that will never catch on. Again congratulations

Way to go, looks like a well placed shot. I’m also from southern Ontario (92b) and have only missed one muzzle loader season since it began in 1982. All the doubters said, oh that will never catch on. Again congratulations
Thanks! This was 15 mins from Simcoe in 90B in a Norfolk County bush. I had 3 deer come in behind me on a trail I just walked in on. One was watching me snorting, I'm guessing momma. I shot the first one, which turned broadside figuring they would run soon. I don't know what it was, but I shot big bucks and this muzzleloader hunt gave me a way bigger adrenaline rush. I was shaking, maybe knowing I only had 1 shot. I had to use the corner of my popup blind window for a rest.

Last edited:
Congrats Lee. I also had my first muzzy hunt and success this year. The feeling was amazing as you said. The waiting for the smoke to clear is something isn't it. Drags that sense of anxiety on your shot out longer as you wait for it to clear.

I would imagine that you’re hooked pretty solid now on this sport. I use the Hornady 240 XTP as well. Recovered this one from a deer this year. I think it did exactly what the manufacturer wanted it to do and maintained 80% of its weight.

Attachments

• IMG_9382.jpeg
    IMG_9382.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 0
I would imagine that you’re hooked pretty solid now on this sport. I use the Hornady 240 XTP as well. Recovered this one from a deer this year. I think it did exactly what the manufacturer wanted it to do and maintained 80% of its weight.
It's a deadly round for sure. I was using 100grV of triple 7 FFG and it put a fist size hole in the lungs.

Back