First Muzzle Loader Questions - CVA Accura LRX 50. Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmexicomuledeerhunter

Reaction score
Hello,

I drew a muzzle loader mule deer tag in NM this year. I was my 3rd choice tag and I did not expect to draw it at all. Now that I have I want to give my best effort on this hunt.

I need to find a muzzleloader quickly and get to work practicing. After a lot of research, I have settled on the CVA Accura LRX 50. Caliber. This seems like a good modern option that is in my price range. I have not ordered it yet, but think I will in the next few days unless anyone has any convincing reasons why I should go another route.

I am looking for any tips or recommendations for how to figure out my loads and get used to shooting muzzleloaders: bullet type, powder type, powder weigh/grain, primer type. It is hard to find much information about this specific gun and recommended load specifications.

I welcome anything and everything a total beginner might need to know. Thank you so much in advance!

James

welcome to the forum . i'm new here also so i can't help with a answer , but i'm looking forward to the replies you get on this . these folks here are very generous about sharing their knowledge and experiences and you will enjoy it here .

take care , jeff

I have the CVA Accura V2 which has been an excellent 50 cal rifle. Accurate and reliable and I highly recommend.

Hello Mr. James and welcome from Oklahoma.
I would suggest to go to a gun shop or a Cabela's or Basspro and handle a few rifles.
CVA makes some nice muzzleloader guns. I own a number of vintage CVA traditional sidehammers, with real black powder and patched round balls as my choice of components.
In today's market, the components for modern guns are in short supply.
Blackhorn 209 is the most popular modern propellant but hardest to find as are 209 primers.
Bullets are a different story, plenty of choices available.
You should try to find a powder and primers first before you order a gun. Triple 7 or Pyrodex are powders that are usually available as second choices.
New shooters get into muzzleloaders with the expectation of 200 to 300 yard accuracy which can be achieved but remember that a muzzleloader isn't a centerfire rifle. In my opinion, 150 to 175 yards with a scoped gun is probably the best goal to strive for.
Best of luck to you during the upcoming season.
Jim

Welcome James.
First, I recommend that you start looking for ML specific 209 primers right away.
the Accura is a great gun that im sure youll be happy with.
Bullets, if you can use sabots in NM then any in stock 250 grain bullet/sabot combo(not PowerBelts or cheap shots) will be a really good starting point. Although Cheap Shots are decent performers on deer.
May as well keep it easy on yourself to get started and find some Triple Se7en 50grn pellets and start with 2 pellets pershot. If’n you fall madly in love with MLs then you can fine tune your load with a loose powder and different weight bullets or sabots. Maybe even bore size bullets.
Keep it simple to start with. 2 pellets, 1 saboted bullet, 209ML primers, a moist patch/dry patch between shots.
Mark your ramrod so you can tell at a glance that your gun is loaded and be sure you havent double loaded it.
Keep your powder dry.
Do not get distracted while shooting.
And have a good time.

Welcome! Great advice to find some primers right away! I don’t use them but I havent noticed muzzleloader-specific 209 primers anywhere for months. (We’re referring to something like Winchester 777 209s or Remington 209MLs that are lower-powered for use with blackpowder substitutes like 777 or pyrodex.) Maybe you'll get lucky though. Any 209s are good 209s (and useable in a muzzleloader) these days and Id grab anything you can find to get started!

Thanks for great advice already! The following is taken from the Blackhorn website

"Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A
We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps."

Should I look for muzzleloader specific 209 primers or 209 shotshell primers like they recommend?

Thanks!!!

I know the MRXL 45 long range has an over sized bore where you can only use power belt bullets I am not sure about the MRX 50 caliber I have a brand new MRX 50 but haven't slugged the bore yet Some one may chime in Good Luck Lou

Hello all,

I found CCI 209 Muzzle Loader primers and I got 600 of them.

I also found Triple 7 50/50 pellets and Triple Seven easy clean muzzleloading propellant.

Next I need to find/order some bullets. Sabots are legal here, I do not know where to start on brand/size of bullet/sabot. Any recommendations there?

I am reconsidering the LRX (30 inch barrel) and may go with the MRX (26 inch barrel). Any experience with either? I have also read some weird reviews of CVA rifles. I am open to suggestions for a user friendly new ML under $1000.

Once again, my main use will be hunting mule deer and elk in New Mexico.

Thank you for all the help!!!!

James

Last edited:
You are in good shape for primers and powder! I have only used conicals, but when I get picked for a state that allows sabots, I will be prob be using saboted Barnes copper bullets. Not sure about availability. At least 250 gr bullets for deer and 290 gr for elk.

if you are not using BH 209, what they said about primers is not true. 777 and pyrodex are easily ignited. BH 209 takes a magnum primer. And since it is unlikely you will be able to get any BH 209 before the season , you should be in good shape. Not sure I would use your current primers with BH 209

As far a gun, I would not get too fancy with this purchase. The CVA Optima V2 is a basic gun but will shoot just fine. I have heard of some issues with some X models. Reviews vary though.

You are in good shape for primers and powder! I have only used conicals, but when I get picked for a state that allows sabots, I will be prob be using saboted Barnes copper bullets. Not sure about availability. At least 250 gr bullets for deer and 290 gr for elk.

if you are not using BH 209, what they said about primers is not true. 777 and pyrodex are easily ignited. BH 209 takes a magnum primer. And since it is unlikely you will be able to get any BH 209 before the season , you should be in good shape. Not sure I would use your current primers with BH 209

As far a gun, I would not get too fancy with this purchase. The CVA Optima V2 is a basic gun but will shoot just fine. I have heard of some issues with some X models. Reviews vary though.

Good points. I read that same review and it scared me quite a bit.

I think I'll go with the Optima V2! Seems like a great option. For my purposes, would you say the 26 or 28 inch barrel would be best? What is the recoil like on MZs? Would the 28 have a little less kick?

Thanks! James

I own and shoot a CVA Accura Plains Rifle and it has a 28 inch Barrel with the Nitride finish. Over the years I have also owned the CVA Accura Mountain Rifle that had a 25 inch barrel. There are two loads that worked well in both of these guns for me. The first was 120 grains/ two of the 60 grain T7 pellets and a Cutting edge 250 grain Maximus bullet in a green Harvester Crush rib sabot ignited by standard CCI 209 primers. The second was 75 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 behind the same bullet sabot combination and the same CCI primer. These loads sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards are deadly accurate out to 175 yards which is the longest shot I have available on my home range. I have taken several deer over the last few years using these two guns, I gifted the MR to a young friend a couple of years ago and he still uses the 120 grain T7 load, There are several bullets in the 250 grain range that will give equally good results I just landed on this one and have stuck with it. The only issue I have ever experienced with these guns was excessive fouling in the breech area due to blowback. I took some advice from folks here and bought some small O rings that fit inside the nipple to help seal it better and did some minor adjusting on the firing pin housing. I love My Accura and could not ask for a more reliable, easy to clean and accurate muzzle loader. If you end up getting some blackhorn powder make sure you have the Blackhorn compatible breech plug.

If you expect to be carrying that ML a LOT then go with the 26”. Imho i like the longer barrels but either will shoot fine for you to 150-200yards IF YOU PRACTICE. Since youre also going after elk then you should probably look at the heavier bullets, 290gr Barnes are good bullets but hard to find right now. Maybe you can find some 300gr Hornady sst. Either one with its supplied sabot will be a good starting point and may be found locally off the shelf. You might also still be able to find some Thompson Center stuff on shelves. If you are shopping online then there are so many more options available. Look for 290 to 400grain weight for that gun and muley/elk size game. I dont know which breech plug comes with an Optima, loose powder or pellet style, theyre different. You should ask for both just in case.

I'd go with the 26 inch barrel. You won't gain much fps with the 28, just more weight.
The beauty part of muzzleloading is that you can customize your loads to suit your needs.
A heavy bullet and powder charge can kick like a mule.
Light powder charge and bullet for plinking and target work.
You can find the best combination for hunting whatever game you're after.

I'd go with the 26 inch barrel. You won't gain much fps with the 28, just more weight.
The beauty part of muzzleloading is that you can customize your loads to suit your needs.
A heavy bullet and powder charge can kick like a mule.
Light powder charge and bullet for plinking and target work.
You can find the best combination for hunting whatever game you're after.

Great. I ordered a 26 inch Optima V2. Yeah, I look forward to playing around with different loads. I am sure I will have more questions once I start tinkering around.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back