First White Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on a successful hunt.

The Story. My buddy and I saw this buck cruzing the ridge above the road mid morning, looking for an afternoon delight. My buddy jumped out and headed up the ridge and I drove down the road and parked, then headed up the hillside to provide outside containment. As I hiked up the hill a ways, clearing the pines, the hillside opened up somewhat to an open cheat grass and rabbit brush, with scatted pine trees on up the hillside. I had my head on a swivel, watching for this guy to be above me or coming across. As I gained altitude, I looked to my right and saw my buddy off to my right 150 yards. He put his hands in the air signaling he had no idea where the buck had gone, I gave hime the same signal back. I thought perhaps the buck had peeled off the ridge the other way to his right and was gone. After standing there for a few minutes, I saw a little movement between us in the brush, and saw it was the buck, looking back in the direction of my buddy, but only about 50 from me and slightly up hill. I put the Whites' bolt in the "go" position and pushed the safety to fire. I could only see the bucks belly to the top of his back, I put the crosshairs of the Williams Western sight behind the shoulder and touched it off! As the smoke cleared, I was suprised to see the buck coming right at me at a run. I thought perhaps I had jerked the trigger and shot over his back, but as he rounded a bush I could see the blood pumping out right behind the shoulder, and 10 more yards he went down, with a few final kicks and last breaths, he slid in the snow down the hill a little, and passed almost at my feet. The 460gr No Excuses had passed completely through the boiler room providing a quick death to this old warrior. After gutting him, the pull down hill was a breeze with fresh snowfall.

And if you look very close, above my head and to the left on the skyline, a herd of elk witnessed all this action, knowing there was no tag in our pockets for them. FYI, Oregon only allows open sights/open ignition, no plastic on sabots.

Back