Flat base versus boat tail bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I’ve always shot the 250gr copper Barnes TMZ with the boat tail bullets.

I have some 250gr copper Hornady monoflex that are flat base.

Any differences between boat tail and flat base for muzzleloaders? I would think the flat base bullet would have more length pressing against the rifling and possibly provide more spin.

Last edited:
I personally never had much accuracy success with boat tails in any of my SML muzzleloaders. Flat bases always did better for me.

I have excellent results with the flat base Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets using the dark blue Sabot.

PRbullets.com sells lead boattail bullets. I've always had decent accuracy with them, and the 340 gr. Dead Centers are devastating on deer. Some sabots are specially designed for boattails. If you're shooting short range, the Ballistic Coefficient doesn't matter much, but at longer ranges delivers more energy. I don't think the bearing surface will make a bit of difference. If you're worried, you could knurl the bullet with a couple of files to make it stick to the sabot better. I've had very good luck with PT Scorpion bullets in my .50.

I’ve always shot the 250gr copper Barnes TMZ with the boat tail bullets.

I have some 250gr copper Hornady monoflex that are flat base.

Any differences between boat tail and flat base for muzzleloaders? I would think the flat base bullet would have more length pressing against the rifling and possibly provide more spin.
Maybe boat tails have a little more speed and slightly flatter trajectory at long range. Up to 150 I don't see much difference. The flat base bullet seems, for me, to be slightly more accurate, but I rarely shoot past 150 yards. If you use sabots make sure to use sabots made to fit boattail bullet bases. This helps the bullet stay aligned and straight.

You cant compare a PR bullet boat tail to a solid Barnes or even a jacketed. They obturate in the sabot much easier and tighten as soon as you fire them. PR does not even use a boat tail sabot. They are just the regular MMP sabots.

As far as MonoFlex vs TMZ, i think you may find the Monoflex sabot is much smaller. So if you want them to be about as tight you will need at least a MMP HPH-12.

Latest posts

Back