Flintlock Long Guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in a 21st century dominated by percussion ignition sidelocks and inlines, I kinda buck the trend by exercising great interests in the firearms of the 18th century. Ya know, the Colonial periods of the F&I and Rev wars. This era was dominated by smoothbore rifles - military muskets and citizen farmer fowlers - and not rifled barrel guns. The main reasons for smoothies are twofold - smoothbores have twice or more the rate of fire as rifles (a military must) and can load both ball and shot (for both four legged and winged critters aike).

A gun could cost a pretty penny and frugal Colonials needed a firearm for food harvesting, defense, and warfare, and that perfectly defines a smoothbore. A military musket ran between .6x and .7x bore, whilst most farmers (literally, every citizen in Colonial times farmed) purchased a fowler in .5x to .6x bore. No question there were rifles and even small rifle brigades within both the American and British armies, but the warefare weapon of those times was the smoothbore.

A year or so back I wanted a flintlock rifle that was representative of the Colonial era, perhaps 'tween two major conflicts. I settled on a Kibler Colonial kit in .54 caliber. Unlike the offshore "screwdriver" kits, with their patent breech plugs, Kibler kits require some level of wood/metal competence, as well as proper tooling. Having built sidelocks before, this was not a problem for me. Knowing that I probably would eventually wind up selling off the gun, I bought the extra fancy tiger maple stock. The build went well, with only the usual minor complications that were all overcome. She turned out to be a good shooter and worthy of hunting and killing any Norte American game if need be. Sold it last year ... to fund yet another smoothbore ;)

Anyhoo, I hope some of the above might spark an interest in learning more about, or acquiring, a good "rock lock".

o8AR9db.jpg

3bWwLhe.jpg

tDjwAqr.jpg

OJylbBB.jpg

GXjfcrk.jpg

aU9MDeK.jpg

z3vcsfm.jpg

Thats the way i want mine to look!! what did you do for the finish?? kibler's videos make them too dark to suit me.

Thats the way i want mine to look!! what did you do for the finish?? kibler's videos make them too dark to suit me.

I used just one coat of Kibler's aqua fortis, then 10 light coats of finger rubbed Tru-Oil, with light 0000 steel wooling between coats.

Thanks RFD and Lewis, your flattery humbles me! Rfd, in my opinion there is no rifle too purdy to take afield, life is too short to hunt only with ugly guns, lol! There are lots of 150 - 250 year old originals that saw lots of use back in the day and are still beauties to behold. My guns are made to shoot!

Many thanks, Curtis

Thanks RFD and Lewis, your flattery humbles me! Rfd, in my opinion there is no rifle too purdy to take afield, life is too short to hunt only with ugly guns, lol! There are lots of 150 - 250 year old originals that saw lots of use back in the day and are still beauties to behold. My guns are made to shoot!

Many thanks, Curtis
Do you make your guns from scratch (stock, inletting etc) or do you start with a kit and customize from there? I don’t have much wood working experience and am thinking really hard about getting a flint kit to dip my toes into that world. I really respect those who can take a stock blank and make it into something special. I’m too afraid I’ll mess it up and get in over my head. Excellent work

I had an Issac Haines custom build. Like a dummy I sold it. Wish I had it now.

Beautiful and outstanding craftsmanship! I have used modern muzzleloaders for hunting deer and completely enjoy it. But I have been wanting to get into more traditional type guns. Something about them just has me intrigued. Your photos didn't help curtail that! lol

Do you make your guns from scratch (stock, inletting etc) or do you start with a kit and customize from there? I don’t have much wood working experience and am thinking really hard about getting a flint kit to dip my toes into that world. I really respect those who can take a stock blank and make it into something special. I’m too afraid I’ll mess it up and get in over my head. Excellent work

Bstorric, I make the guns from scratch, starting with a plank and a handsaw. I typically purchase the lock and barrel, and sometimes buy a cast trigerguard and buttplate, sometimes make them by hand. The balance of the furniture (triggers, nosecap, ramrod pipes, patchboxes, etc) and inlays I make by hand in the shop. Engraving and metal in metal inlay is done with hand gravers and chisels. I get the most enjoyment from building them in a predominantly tradition fashion.

I understand your apprehension about trying to build one, my first gun was not pretty but I still deer hint with it! A person has to jump in somewhere and just do their best!

Thanks, Curtis

Beautiful and outstanding craftsmanship! I have used modern muzzleloaders for hunting deer and completely enjoy it. But I have been wanting to get into more traditional type guns. Something about them just has me intrigued. Your photos didn't help curtail that! lol

Thanks! I love my modern rifles and hope to never part with them, but like you was drawn to the traditional guns. I bought a used percussion rifle and pistol at a guns show about 15 years ago and was hooked! That lead to me building my first flintlock, then attending a class how to build them correctly, etc. etc. Once you get hooked it is hard to stop!

Curtis

Back