Found Something Odd in the Woods Today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I went hog hunting on some water management district land today. I was on some twisting, confusing hiking trails when I came across this. I don't know if he was a hiker, an airboater, or maybe an employee but somebody keeps it in good shape.

Potts%20Cross%20web_zpsygzv49zr.jpg

that's interesting. I wonder what happened?

I remember years ago my brother and i were out hunting and drove to this area of a mountain that was real spooky. My brother commented we should turn around, the area looks spooky and just gives you an odd feeling.

I said ok, let me find a spot to turn around.

We found a nice place to turn around and as I backed up and threw my around around the seat to see better, there was an old gravel with a half fallen down cross and a pile of rocks and a white fence around it.

We got out of there in a hurry.

Mystery solved ... well, sort of. My wife hounded me until I Googled his name and county. On the second or third page I found the notice.

It turns out that his body was found there in 2008. See Crime-stoppers notice below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<table border="0" width="100%"><tr><td colspan="1">5/24/2008 - Case # 08050965</td><td align="right"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Joseph Williams Owens[/font]
On the afternoon of May 24, 2008, the body of Joseph Williams Owens was found in a wooded area in Inverness, known as Potts Preserve, which is located off Turner Camp road. The cause of Joey Owen’s death is unknown. Joey had been staying with a friend that resided in the area of Turner’s Fish Camp. The last time Joey was known to be alive was during the early morning hours of May 20, 2008. He had spoken to friends about going hiking in Potts Preserve.​
If you have any information in reference to this case please contact the Citrus County Sheriff`s Office at (352) 726-4488 or to remain anonymous and possibly be eligible for a cash reward up to $1,000, submit your tip through our website​
</td></tr></table>

Now I wonder who has been keeping the site maintained for the last 8 years.

You gotta wonder.

In any case, things just like that are why little fellers like me carry weepons. That stuff happens too much.

Well, this is darn intriguing. Looks like we have a mystery on our hands. 
Scooby-Doo, where are you?!
:joker:

And, I carry in the woods because of nasty little surprises like illegal pot farms, 
Meth manufacturing, and other shenanigans that can leave a simple, honest, hiker 
surprisingly dead.

If we knew age it could be anything from a heart attack, snake bite, heat stroke. Who knows. All that's good to be said is that his family was able to have him back and hopefully have some peace.

I found out that several people have died on that 9000 acre piece. Most have been air-boaters but the place used to be known as the Dee River Ranch. They changed the name to Potts Preserve when one of the employees named Potts died while working on it.

The place is full of gators, snakes and hogs. I even killed a deer there once.
It's more than 50% wetlands with marshes and swamps everywhere.

You are safer in the woods while hunting where every one carry's guns than on your city streets is there some thing wrong with this picture

patocazador said:
I found out that several people have died on that 9000 acre piece. Most have been air-boaters but the place used to be known as the Dee River Ranch. They changed the name to Potts Preserve when one of the employees named Potts died while working on it.

The place is full of gators, snakes and hogs. I even killed a deer there once.
It's more than 50% wetlands with marshes and swamps everywhere.
Bob, I have been looking at the map. Interesting place. Hunting is allowed.

In these Water Management Districts, is it legal for us to hunt the land for pig at any time? (Answer: NO!)
(I know not at night... I know that not all of the areas allow hunting... I know the rules are posted: 
I just tried to read it again and find parts of them contradictory...)
I am looking at the KICCO and Blanket Slough. :?: 
PS. I found the 'Dates' again. It changes for every area. I will quit whining, pick a place I think 
will work, and then call Florida Wildlife to make certain, and JUST GO!.
If so, I might skip the range next time and stomp around looking for a ham sandwich. :cheers:

Most of the WMD areas are huntable only with a quota hunt permit available by draw during the first part of June.
You have to buy a hunting license, WMA permit, and a deer and/or turkey 'stamp'. If hunting with a bow or muzzleloader, you also have to buy a stamp for that. If you are over 65, you are exempt from these licenses but still need to register your info in order to apply for the drawings.

I get a large calendar with an empty block around each day and write in when the hunts are for the areas I wish to hunt. That way I don't apply for 2 or more hunts on the same weekend. It is very confusing and requires quite a bit of organization to keep things straight. Some areas allow over 500 permits while others may only allow 3-5 permits. Obviously, your odds aren't very good if only 5 permits are available.

This area does not require a quota permit:
http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/sw/kissimmee-river/

If you have a boat, you can hog hunt land that is below the mean high water mark on river banks year-round with a shotgun or muzzleloader.

Thank you Bob! And, thanks most for agreeing that it is confusing! 

I will follow your steps and follow up with a phone call to the office 
that manages that spot before going to set my mind at ease. 

But, then I am going: back in the woods, hunting again after way too 
long. This is going to be very nice. Here, piggy, piggy! :pig:

I had hoped to take a big pig home to the Big Pig Pit this week.
But...

The pigs are very safe from outsiders in the state of Florida. :pig:
They are protected by a barrage of bureaucratic Ack-Ack 
worthy of the French.

Unless you own your own land or have the permission of 
the land owner to take them- then you can take them at night 
with night vision assistance- pigs live on sacred ground where 
each 40 acre plot is micromanaged to the point that even the 
administrators have to refer a hunter to a different office for 
rules for each different spot.

I did a lot of looking into KISSO WMA in Florida. I spoke to a very 
helpful administrator named Kim Willis. I am glad I called. I could have 
easily ended up - unintentionally- in the pokey.

There IS a small game season at KISSO when a Quota Permit is not required 
for pig and muzzle loader. BUT, beyond that narrow time window- which 
differs in every spot- you must apply for a Quota Permit for hunting this 
week. This must be done WAY back in June-August. They do not issue them 
now... not even a lottery version.

To hunt pig in KISSO, I DO need:
1. Hunting License (No biggy)
2. Management Area Permit (To drive there. May be waived if 
I have applied for a Camping Permit.)
3. Quota Permit (There are 15 given for the week in question- 
MUST BE APPLIED FOR IN June-August)
4. Understand that the rules are different for every location.
5. A lawyer on hand to get me out of jail in case I read these 
Byzantine rules incorrectly.
6. Maybe a Stamp of some sort... I got a little blurry by this time 
so I am not certain.

Given that wild pig is a destructive invasive species, I asked a few more questions. 

I had been under the impression that pythons (Also invasive- non native) 
were 'kill as you can.' NO. These are also 'managed.'

GRRRRR! :slaps:

I believe the politicians have given pigs and snakes protections out of 
professional courtesy.

I have been given a couple of numbers to call to see if one of the other
areas may have an option.

NOTE: I do not mind regulations. I just think they should not be designed 
to be so complicated that a well intentioned person can not read them easily 
and not end up breaking the law because of the complexity of the law. 

Give me ONE complicated set of rules to follow and I will manage- not 60.

UPDATE WITH GOOD NEWS...

Apologies for the double post. This seemed significant. 

I called the Northeast call center for the FWC and asked about 
The Chain of Lakes area. I spoke to Jessica.

I CAN GO HUNTING!!!! :cheers:

I don't need jack! No license, permit, Quota, stamp, ANYTHING for pig and muzzleloader. 
I can camp there. I can drive there. 

Now, I am STILL gonna get my license. AND, I learned that there is a Muzzle Loading Gun Permit 
for Florida. ($5.00) So, add this to the complicated equation of rules for the Florida hunter. 
I will get one for myself anyway. Also, I must bring a print out of the FWC brochure for that area 
when I hunt just in case.

I LOVE going straight to people. One kept me out of jail. The other let me go hunting with 
confidence. I did not find Kim or Jessica's number on FWC sites. I found Kim via WMA sites. 
Kim gave me Jessica's number. And, for the record, there was a long and complicated discussion 
in Jessica's office that I over heard before they were able to sort out all the rules. EVERY ZONE 
HAS DIFFERENT RULES!

So, wish me happy pig hunting, fellas! :pig:  

I will be just south of Cypress Lake in Gardner Cobb Marsh 
in Kissimmee Chain of Lakes.

I hope you have an airboat. Lakes Cypress, Hatchineha, and Kissimmee are loaded down with airboaters .. night and day.

Oh, and bring  hearing protectors if you want some peace and quiet. I hunted Lake Hatchineha years ago but the constant drone (and poaching) by them was unbearable. I finally stopped going there and now find quieter spots.

I'm pretty sure that marsh is in a big bay on the north side of Lake Kissimmee.

BTW, there is no KISSO. It is KICCO.

Mr Colonel
I think you have a great reason to leave Floriduh and go to Texas. Pig hunting there is wide open. No pythons and no stupid rules. Al

BigAl52 said:
Mr Colonel
I think you have a great reason to leave Floriduh and go to Texas. Pig hunting there is wide open. No pythons and no stupid rules. Al
HAHA! Thanks! 

I moved to Florida from Texas, actually. Few trees. Brrrr! Strange. lol
But, there are no pythons where I was. And, hunting was easier.

BTW, there is no KISSO. It is KICCO.
True. Sorry. They pronounce it Kisso not KICCO so I 
mentally reversed it. 

Maybe the air boats will hide my clumpy feet!

Wish me luck. I am off tomorrow. May not be back 
for a couple days. 

Goin' for a BIG PIG! Think Big Pig thoughts! :pig::pig::pig:
And, a way for me to get into the area without a boat.... 
I may need to get creative.

Hmmm I dont know :Questuon:  Floriduh or south Texas hill country. Im thinkin Kerrville area. Real nice place down there I thought the last time I was there. Probably is a bit warmer where your at but it aint bad in Corpus area. Al

Oh by the way Happy :pig: hunting Al

Kentucky Colonel said:
And, a way for me to get into the area without a boat.... 
I may need to get creative.
This is not a joke or ragging you: Get an inflatable life vest and wear it at all times. Those areas are treacherous for a newcomer. Muck bottoms, gator holes, and live gators during mating season (which is now) plus cottonmouths are all dangerous.
I have an inflatable belt-type that I always wear. It has saved my life twice. Once by stepping into a gator hole that was 8' deep while wading. The other was when I got out on an "island" that wasn't. It was a floating mass of vegetation and I plunged through it. Never hit the bottom due to pulling the cord on the belt.

Best warning is, if you don't have a boat, don't go. Find someone with a boat who has done it before (more than once) and who will agree to take you. Even if you manage to "walk" in and kill a hog, how are you going to get it out?????

No kidding, don't go until you can go in an airboat or a shallow-draft boat like a Gheenoe.

This is off SFWMD's website: "Accessible only by boat or airboat, Gardner-Cobb Marsh is the largest District property in the Upper Chain of Lakes region."
http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/pg_grp_sfwmd_landresources/pg_sfwmd_landresources_recopps_ul_gardne

Summer hog hunts: http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/dates/

Latest posts

Back