Front Sight height

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I was doing some thinking (expensive sometimes! :lol: ) about my long range rifle not being able to Zero at 100 yards, That really bugs me!! Even though i set the rifle up to shoot WAAAAY out there it’s stil nice to be able to hold dead on at 100 yards and hit there, I have a .850 Lee Shavers Front Globe on the rifle now, At 100 Yards it is 16 inches high and nothing i can do to get it lower. I contacted Lee yesterday and spoke with him about it, he has a taller windage adjustable Front Globe that he uses for Long Range Muzzleloader, His Ferriss Creedmoor rifles, Lee makes this sight in 2 heights, 1 inch, and 1-1/8” height, Both of us feel the 1” will get me my 100 yard Zero but as Lee said it won’t leave me much to play around with, I decided to go with the 1-1/8” height. Hopefully I will be able to shoot any Range from 50, to maybe 1,200 yards with this setup? I like the idea of leaving the Peep (Staff) on dead Zero windage and being able to correct it with the front, instead of losing any Windage back at the Peep/Staff

This is not a great picture at all, but all i can find on it, Lee doesn’t show this Front sight on his website. I ran across this in a pdf file of some sort while searching the Net and took a picture of it, This is the Front sight that will soon be on my Rifle!
aaFh2z2.jpg

The root cause of people with front sight height issues is: the rear sight - it will not go down low enough...

52Bore said:
The root cause of people with front sight height issues is: the rear sight - it will not go down low enough...

Yep!! :yeah: Had i of mounted the Soule a little lower (used the rear screw hole) i think i would have gotten my 100 yard Zero? It would have been REALLY close anyway. The base that Lee sent was his shortest one, and the rear hole was to small and narrow for my existing rear tang screw, instead of trying to modify it to work i went just forward of the rear tang screw and drilled and tapped 2 new holes which would have raised the Soule just a tiny bit, i stil thought it would work? But it simply did not. I believe this new front sight at 1-1/8” will give me a little more than i need? I am thinking i should be able to shoot as close as 50 yards if i chose to? What do you think 52bore? I am 16” high at 100 yards right now with a .850 Front

If I recall, the Soule was originally for Cartridge guns - the windage under the aperture doesn't allow it to go down low enough - this was seen in the early-mid 90's when PH was the only available repo ML.
ML Match rifles of the day had windage in the front, they did not have spotting scopes on the ground by the shooter to adjust dope like a modern day HP. They read the wind flags and shot.
Goodwin did make a ML sight with windage, it was on the slide for the shooter to adjust..

Idaholewis said:
I believe this new front sight at 1-1/8” will give me a little more than i need? I am thinking i should be able to shoot as close as 50 yards if i chose to? What do you think 52bore? I am 16” high at 100 yards right now with a .850 Front
Should be plenty. At LR your going to come off the comb more when things are higher..
Original guns are straight stocked to help with this at LR, or like my AH (1871) - it has an elevating cheek rest.

52Bore said:
Idaholewis said:
I believe this new front sight at 1-1/8” will give me a little more than i need? I am thinking i should be able to shoot as close as 50 yards if i chose to? What do you think 52bore? I am 16” high at 100 yards right now with a .850 Front
Should be plenty. At LR your going to come off the comb more when things are higher..
Original guns are straight stocked to help with this at LR, or like my AH (1871) - it has an elevating cheek rest.

I am actually in the process of having a cheek riser made for this rifle for the exact reason you just mention, A lady over in Ponderay Idaho that works with leather, she has been working on different prototypes, I really like the concept, it will be fully adjustable with several different height inserts/ad ons, it is an all leather lace up design and the different height ad ons will Velcro down to the top giving you the rise you need for a cheek weld at various heights. I played around with one on a rifle and really liked it, it was solid and felt darn good. I will post pics when i get it

Slip on cheek rest are readily available - many use them. The best one's I've seen are lace up, harder to get on, but don't slip.
I don't use them as they are not period.

52Bore said:
Slip on cheek rest are readily available - many use them. The best one's I've seen are lace up, harder to get on, but don't slip.
I don't use them as they are not period.

“Period” means precisely NOTHING to me, I’ll take functionality over “Period” ANY ole day :yeah:

I wish I had found this thread about 30 mins ago, it would've saved me a foolish post on another thread haha!
I intend to purchase a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter and slap one of these on the front. For being able to dial in anything between 50-600 yards, what height would you all recommend?

Also I have a question in regards to the various diameters Lee offers. Why would a shooter opt for a smaller or a larger diameter?

Baccummba said:
I wish I had found this thread about 30 mins ago, it would've saved me a foolish post on another thread haha!
I intend to purchase a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter and slap one of these on the front. For being able to dial in anything between 50-600 yards, what height would you all recommend?

Also I have a question in regards to the various diameters Lee offers. Why would a shooter opt for a smaller or a larger diameter?

You won’t need a front Sight like this for the Pedersoli you speak of, That rifle Comes with an AWESOME looking sight setup for Hunting! This Shavers adjustable front sight would be WAY to tall. I swear by the Lyman 17 Series, Shavers sells a 17 Series that is basically identical to the Lyman, except Lee’s has a bubble level in it (I don’t have much faith in them being accurate) The Lyman is 40 bucks, Lee’s is 85 bucks. I like Mr Shavers a bunch, but i prefer my Lyman 17s, I go with the lowest possible Front Globe i can, that is the Lyman 17AHB at .404 high, this might be to low for some? But for me it’s perfect on my Hawkens, and Renegades. When using the Williams FP Hawken, or the Lyman 57SML i prefer the 17AHB Globe as it allows me to keep my Tang peep Low, leaving me more elevation adjustment

As for the Larger vs Smaller Diameter Front Globe, that would be a personal preference thing, I have never tried The Larger diameter Globe, I started out with The 17s for their popularity and i have stayed with them.

Latest posts

Back