Frustrated with CVA Optima LR I have a question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn't sighted at all. I guess the muzzleloaders just kick a tad harder than a regular rifle. I read when gunsmiths have seen wooden stocked guns actually split from the lead sled.

Not just gunsmiths. Many non gunsmiths are aware of the issues of the lead sled. They will destroy a scope with or without weight. The shoulder is a very good shock absorber for recoil. I shoot off a bag or a rest only.

Happy you found the problem. Good luck this year!

Last edited:
I think I found the problem. After wasting more than 300 bullets and ruining two scopes I was asked if I was using a lead sled to sight in my gun. I was using one. Apparently the lead sled "Cup" where you set the butt stock of your gun has a thinly padded area then a metal rear plate. When you shoot the muzzleloader the gun kicks back against the metal plate then onto your shoulder (two movements). This is the equivalent of hitting the buttstock of your gun with a hammer. I put on a third scope and sighted it in with no lead sled and it sighted in and works great. 1.5 group at 100 yards compared to missing the target by many feet. Thank goodness that Burris is sending me a replacement scope. Apparently many gunsmiths hate lead sleds for exactly this reason (Google it).
The Lead Sled was a good idea with a bad design. There should have been a better recoil absorbing system. A lot of problems caused by the Lead Sled were from shooters putting too much weight on the sled. Then, like you said, the sled doesn't move and the firearm takes all the recoil. This results in busted scopes and stocks. I've never used one of these but heard so many nightmares about them. I've always shot off a standard rest or sandbags. My daughter, God bless her, bought me a Caldwell Stinger shooting rest for my birthday. Pretty nifty rest. Not top of the line but has coarse verticle movement in front and fine adjustment in the rear.

Even now that you have it shooting good I have heard people say to always Tork the forearm screw the same each time for best accuracy

The lead sled is just a plain old bad idea. Scopes for muzzy's are built to take only a certain type of recoil. The sled will break a lot of scopes especially if used a lot. With weight on the sled the gun and scope take all the punishment.

If you need a lead sled for the gun maybe you should get a lighter recoiling load or another gun in a smaller caliber >Not directed at anyone just my way of thinking

MMMMMM Sounds like Scope, I start there with a swap.Then test again, if not the scope then the chase is a foot.. or get a Buckhorn Magnum

I have the CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. I was shooting hornady 250gr sst bullet. With 84grs of blackhorn by weight. I just upgraded scopes. To a leupold ultimate slam ML 3x9x40mm scope. Going to try some hornady 290gr bore driver bullets Friday. The group in the picture is at 100 yds. With the 250gr sst bullets. That group was shot with scope came on it. A Konus 3x9x40 ML scope. Screenshot_20231007_162556_Photos~3.jpg
Hello, I have owned 5 muzzle loader including three CVA Optima's. This year I drew a tag for a Bull Elk. For the live of me I have tried magnum pellets/triple 7 pellets and white hots and many different bullets. I cannot get this new gun to shoot consistent like my older optima. I hit the center of the target then the next shot will be 5 inches away from the first then the third shot sometime is 10 inches away from th other two and is all over the target. Any suggestions? Ive had non stop problems with this particular CVA product including a ramrod that came apart and went through my hand. Any suggestions as to how to make this thing shoot. I dont feel good about hunting an elk or anything else with it.

Back