Getting ready.....White .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting ready for a range session and the rifle season. Since the scope had been removed I figure I better sight it in and make sure it is ready to go.

I'm not to impressed with the cage type rings the scope mounts in. But HiLux is one of the few companies that make a Malcolm scope. This one is the 17" 3x scope. The optics are better than I thought considering it's a China made scope. :wall:

I will probably end up having sights installed later on because with the scope I'm limited to rifle season only. I have a mid range Pedersoli Creedmore on hand so I would only need to have a front sight put on. Something to consider in the off season.

In the above picture you can see the barrel is round rather than octagonal. I believe it is a Douglas but not positive. I need to check on that. I do know that it is a .451 with a 1:18 twist

It has a Henry lock and a super strong Manton style breech with drip bar.

It has a leather simulated recoil pad , iron trigger guard and a single trigger

There are no markings on the barrel at all so hopefully I don't forget what it is. Actually the only markings are Doc's initials.. And as you can see in the close up the metal to metal fit in the breech area isnt super tight. Then again I guess it's not manufactured on a modern CNC type of machine with tight tolerances.

My components for the range session are based on what it is suppose to shoot at 100 yards with touching cloverleaf accuracy.

5 gr 2f Blackpowder as an igniter under 65 gr Blackhorn 209, remington #11 caps, felt wad, 460 gr No Excuse conical. I will try it without a wad also and with some 488 gr Bullshop conicals.

I hope to lob one of the 460's right into the vitals of a nice deer come mid November.

I will post the range results the first of next week as I will be gone over the weekend.

Darn nice looking rifle there. My .451 White likes those 460 grain Bull Shop Conicals. Your range session will be very interesting. I wish you the best of luck with the rifle.

Latest posts

Back