Getting started

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
Hello from the horrible state of Illinois. New member of about 3 weeks. Been watching and reading for some inspiration before jumping into the ML world blind. Picked up some wall hangar muzzleloaders for $75 a couple years ago, only one is operational, that sparked my interest.

20230831_153350.jpg

I'm a fairly new deer hunter with the savage 220 which I love. Things a tack driver. So I've decided to try muzzleloaders now. Got my muzzleloader deer tags already and just picked up some starter materials today. Primers still haven't shown up, ugh.

20230831_152558.jpg

Still haven't picked the most important part though. This is what I'm leaning towards though.

Screenshot_20230831_152818_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know I'm going about this a lil backwards but I get buyers remorse easily if I don't get exactly what I want. Originally was sold on the traditions vortex strickerfire vapr ldr for its twist rate and one size fits all breech plug. This forum is what has shifted me towards the optima now and I really like thumbhole stocks.. fyi I hunt southern illinois with 10yrd shots up to beyond what I'd feel comfortable shooting opportunities. Typical is 60yrds to 140yrds. If you made it this far, thank you..

Question.. I've got a shotgun/rifle cleaning kit which includes lots of patches and assorted sizes of brass brushes. I assume it will work for cleaning a muzzy. Would anyone recommend anything else I absolutely need?

I would try the sabots and 3 white hots that's what I use, and it groups less than a inch at 100 all day. But it will knock your teeth loose shooting from bench. Make sure that you don't get any blow back in the firing pin break action area. If you do you will have problems with lock up and firing pin sticking.if you have that problem I can tell you how to fix it.

You’ll want a brass brush and jag to fit your bore and large 2-2.5” patches. .50 I assume?
50 cal yes.. I'll pick up a dedicated brush..

I would try the sabots and 3 white hots that's what I use, and it groups less than a inch at 100 all day. But it will knock your teeth loose shooting from bench. Make sure that you don't get any blow back in the firing pin break action area. If you do you will have problems with lock up and firing pin sticking.if you have that problem I can tell you how to fix it.

Would you be talking about the primer o-rings? I bought a 100 of those as well. Not real sure how to use, bottom of primer on primer. But I'll figure that out.

Welcome from coastal NC, you wont be sorry with the Optima , for the range you described Id use 2 pellets and not beat the hell out of your shoulder. Enjoy your new addiction.

Latest posts

Back