Good Antelope Set-up?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nater_Tater

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here is what i have. Remington Genesis 50 cal. (28 inch Barrel and 1:28 twist) Scoped with a 2-7. I typically shoot 2 Pyrodex pellets with a 245gr. Aero Powerbelt.

I took a good doe with that set up in ML season in MN this past December. This coming October, i'm looking at an Antelope hunt. Range is going to be 200 or less, with preference at 150 or closer. I fell great at 100 yards with the scope, and it is dialed in. I get great groups out that far, no flyers or tumblers. Considering the game and distance, do you feel that i have enough in the barrel to handle the antelope at 150-200 yards? What about 100-150 yards? I'm concerned about light on the charge, but yet don't want over power the projectile and get lack-luster accuracy.

By the way, this is a great forum for info. I have gotten so much great info already, i think this is great.

Nater_Tater

100gr pellets with the 245 is great for 150 yards.

Sighted 3" high @ 100 yards it shows to it to be close to 8" low @ 200. Aim at top back and its a high lung shot which is a good shot.

I'd say yes, a very good load.

NT,

I would't worry about not having enough knock-down charge at 150 yards with that load. Good shot placement will harvest him.

Thanks for the input. I have been shooting that load for a bit now and i am starting to like. I don't have the accurracy issues that i hear about from others that use the mag charge of 150 Grains of Pyrodex. I like the flatter shoot trajectory too. Beats the heck out of that chunk of lead i was pushing through my 12g.

Thanks again...

Nater_Tater

Latest posts

Back