Good basic reloading press

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
I've had the RCBS Rock Chucker in the past and while I was not dissatisfied with it I'm wondering if a less expensive unit might accomplish the same thing? At this point I?ll only be reloading my .480 Ruger but who knows what I?ll need in the future. Any thoughts on a turret press?

I have a RCBS turret press. I only use it as a single stage for seating dies. This eliminates set-up as the dies remain in the turret head.
I tighten the turret bolt after turret is rotated. On at least one turret, I use a washer made from shim stock under the turret bolt head. I do this because the thickness of the turret is less than the bolt head-to-shoulder dimension. It is very useful as I apply it but I wouldn't use it otherwise.
I have BETTER feelings about Redding products quality than RCBS but do not have one of their turret presses.
charlie

Any thoughts on a turret press?

Been there, done that...don't YOU do it! The RCBS Rock Chucker IS the one to get. It will do anything you EVER want it to do without complaint. If you want to go the less expensive route, the RCBS Partner is a good one for the money..

Rock Chuckers on Ebay

big6x6 said:
The RCBS Rock Chucker IS the one to get. It will do anything you EVER want it to do without complaint. If you want to go the less expensive route, the RCBS Partner is a good one for the money..]

DITTO

Two Rock Chuckers here, one of which (I picked it up CHEAP at an estate auction) is a full-time home for my PiggyBackII.

If you think you might want to load H&H (or UltraMag) length ammo you might want to look into the new Rock Chucker Supreme. Other than that, the old style Rock Chucker should suffice.

I have the new Rock Shucker Supreme, gotta love that longer handle and also IMO the best single stage press on the market.

Nutt189 said:
I have the new Rock Chucker Supreme, gotta love that longer handle and also IMO the best single stage press on the market.

ditto.. I have the Supreme as well.. like it alot

I have a Lyman turret press. I use it ONLY for pistol rounds, and it's a timesaver.

I have had my Rockchucker for over 20 years with no problems. I highly recommend it.

IndianaHunter said:
Just won a very clean used Rock Chucker on Ebay....87.50...shipped....

Sounds good to me! Have you got dies, bullets, and primers? I'm pretty sure you have powder! :D

big6x6 said:
IndianaHunter said:

Sounds good to me! Have you got dies, bullets, and primers? I'm pretty sure you have powder! :D

Not sure what brand of dies yet but I'm sure I'll be using Beartooth bullets and CCI primers...Not sure of the powder yet but I'm researching it as we speak.

VENISONEATR said:
IndianaHunter said:

You won't be sorry!

Yes, I'm sure of that...I had one about ten years ago but sold it and all my equipment with my T/C Contenders as most were wildcat cartridges at that time...309 JDJ, 357 Harrett, 375 JDJ, etc., and he wanted the complete package.

Pat take a hard look at Redding dies. I love them, especially the primo seating dies with the micrometer seating depth adjuster... For rifle cartridges they are truly the cat's meow!!!

VENISONEATR said:
Pat take a hard look at Redding dies. I love them, especially the primo seating dies with the micrometer seating depth adjuster... For rifle cartridges they are truly the cat's meow!!!

Jim, I sure will but at this point I'm reloading .480 Ruger pistol cartridges. So a set with a good factory crimping die and carbide resizing die will be the ticket. Any suggestions?

you can not beat rcbs die for handguns!!!! even better customer service clint

I like the redding dies, but I own a few sets of Hornady custom grade dies.
The customs have a slide that comes out on the seating die to ensure propper bullet alignment and so you don't have to hold the bullet. Just my .02.

I've reloaded great ammo with all the brands of dies. You did mention that you are going to get a seperate crimp die and do that as a seperate operation, right?

Latest posts

Back