Good day at the range with the Whites!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Took my model 97 Whites to the range today for back up at the hog hunt! 8) Both shot pretty good if I do say so myself! My .50 shot the best it has ever shot. I had it bedded by Mickey Coleman and he must have done a really great job! I first shot a 5-shot group with 75gr fffg Triple Se7en and a 495gr No Excuses. The group was PITIFUL! Next I grabbed up five of Bobs 496gr NEWs with the same powder charge....WOW!

2006rangepics%20114.jpg

And that's with a pretty stiff wind and a rinky-dink 2.5-7X32 Sightron scope! :D I put that rifle back in the truck! :wink:

2006rangepics%20098.jpg

NEXT up was my .45 model 97. Today this rifle didn't want to shoot. I tried both a 495gr No Excuses and a 461gr Bobs NEW with 75gr fffg Triple Se7en(in retrospect I probably should have used 70gr) and both were not good at ALL. Sunday I had had good luck with the Bullshop 420gr and 80gr fffg Triple Se7en. Well..today they didn't disappoint! Here is both Sundays AND todays 5-shot groups. Not too shabby!

2006rangepics%20120.jpg

Personally I see a LOT of promise with those bullets and they look to be some of the better made ones out there! Both 5-shot groups less than 2.0 inches isn't too bad. UC thinks they'll do better than that!

2006rangepics%20099.jpg

At any rate I'll have both Whites ready for the hog blast for JD and JJ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

6x6, that laminated stock looks good . . . looks like the stock on this new super 91 that came to my door this afternoon . . . a little bit obsessed at the moment . . .

Chuck, not bad at all....but yes, I do think your rifle and those bullets will do better still. Wish you would try some dry fiber wads of about .06 thickness over the powder.

Might be a one-holer! :)

GREAT! :shock: I wonder who's truck will have more guns in it?? Yours or mine?

Of course, I have 2 guys coming with me.. should even things out a bit! 8)

Great shooting, I will bring some .50cal wads with me to crossville..

Doohan said:
GREAT! :shock: I wonder who's truck will have more guns in it?? Yours or mine?

Of course, I have 2 guys coming with me.. should even things out a bit! 8)

Great shooting, I will bring some .50cal wads with me to crossville..

Hummmm :roll: :wink:

Wish you would try some dry fiber wads of about .06 thickness over the powder.

I'm going to. I didn't see any in Midsouths catalogue but I will get some with my next order from Cabelas. I wonder if a sub-base will work with the .504s?

GREAT! I wonder who's truck will have more guns in it?? Yours or mine?

You don't want to bet do you? :D Don't forget, I'll have a female with me and that will WAY even things out! Good thing you don't have Grouse with you...you wouldn't have room for his Milk Duds! :lol:

As for the number of guns right NOW...two Whites, one ULA, two 10ML-IIs, one 6BR, one 686, and one 629.. Subject to change without notice. 8)

You don't want to bet do you?

Umm NOPE... I would never bet against the GURU of GUNPOWDER!

Nice list ya got there... Last count we have..

3 10ML-II's
White 91
Austin Halleck 420
10/22
SA 1911
Raging Bull .454
Varmint Tactical .204
and possibley a 94 30-30

6x6 that is some real impressive shooting. I like that Sightron Scope. The one on my Wolverine is a real nice scope. I was thinking of putting one of them on my new Model 97 Ultra Mag.

I guess I have to work on some loads with less powder charges. Everyone seems to get such good results with the 75 grain range, yet mine did much better with 90 grains of Goex 3f.

Just more range work. Great report and good luck shooting Porky... :lol:

I like that Sightron Scope. The one on my Wolverine is a real nice scope. I was thinking of putting one of them on my new Model 97 Ultra Mag.

Hey cayuga! The Sightron scopes are on the Whites for several reasons. Decent glass, HUGE amount of w/e adjustment, small in size so I can leave on the irons, AND not SO expensive that I don't mind getting a little cap burn here and there on the scopes! I have the S-II 2.5-7X32 on the .50 and a 2.5-10X32 on the .45. They do a good job atop the Whites!

Great report and good luck shooting Porky... :lol:

Thanks! Now comes the hard part of picking which rifle to shoot one with! :shock:

Dave,,,try the Swiss 3F,,,70-75gr. with an unlubed WonerWad using the 460gr. No Excuses .503 bullet. I think you will be very happy. :wink:

I will do that Batchief.

As for the Sightron.. that is the one reason I like the scope too. If it was burned out in a number of years I would not be so upset as if it were an real expensive scope.

Chuck, does that rear base on your Whitetails protrude out over the action opening at all?

EXACTLY which bases are those? I know they are Warnes - but which Warnes (M923 and M925 ??) and did you get them directly from Warne?

Have you noticed less fouling in the bore after shooting the Bullshop bullets? That #2 lube of his is amazing!

Do I have any more questions for you? :D

Back