Good deal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve thrown away plugs that looked better than that….lol
Send them to me and i’ll convert them to vent liners and resell them and split it with you 50/50.

I would give MAYBE $5 for that IF the face is not gas-cut or pitted. But i can see bad pitting on the face so its junk.

For me an OEM Omega breech plug is a waste of money even if it is brand new, and inexpensive. A far better investment is an Omega plug from Woodman or from Bestill.
Both plugs can be sized to provide a perfect fit to any primer, whereas the OEM plug cannot.

My advice to Omega shooters is pass on OEM breech plugs, and save the money to put into a Woodman, or a Bestill breech plug; they are so very much better.

I was looking for an Omega breech plug a while back and a member here sent me a good used one for free. Shortly after I was in my local gun store and saw a brand new one for $19.99 which I just had to buy. Check some gun stores and you might find one.

Ironically, I bought ten of the Omega/Encore OEM plugs from Muzzleloaders.com several years back when they had a clearance on them. I think I paid $7.99 a piece. Also have a hand full of them I picked up over the years at different shops and shows. Probably paid between $30 to $40 a piece for them.

Last edited:
So, about Woodmans Omega plug
Woodman Arms Outdoor Sports Shop
IMG_4544.png

It states that its for the .50 cal. Anyone know if it will fit in a .45 Omega? Or will Mark make a special .45 version. I know there aren't a lot of them out there, my two were not easy to find. So maybe it wasnt worth the time & effort to make one for a .45 when 99% are going in a .50.
btw, just ruminating on a snowy sunday, can y’all imagine a .54 or even a .58 Omega? That would be an awesome dragon slayer!

I believe Mark has plans to make a .45 plug (would just require a slightly smaller body (nose) and same internal parts). I asked for one for my .45 Encore barrel. Perhaps he already has one made at this point. It would probably be easy for a guy with a lathe to turn the nose of a .50 plug down to work in a .45.

Latest posts

Back