Good deal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Mark has plans to make a .45 plug (would just require a slightly smaller body (nose) and same internal parts). I asked for one for my .45 Encore barrel. Perhaps he already has one made at this point. It would probably be easy for a guy with a lathe to turn the nose of a .50 plug down to work in a .45.
I thought about that, it would need to be re-heat treated again tho, wouldn’t it?

Oh gee, that's too bad. Spending money on a OEM plug, and depriving oneself of the experience shooting a Bestill or Woodman plug.

Hate to admit it, but so did i. Now i have 20 Omega plugs i will never use.
Oh no, not too bad at all. Got several family members and friends who shoot Omegas and Encores. They will go to good use. Any surplus I have will sell for all I have invested and maybe then some.
BTW ,I do have several Bestill's White breech plugs. Money well spent on a quality product. I may purchase a Woodman or Bestill Omega plug in the future. At this point the OEM's have worked just fine and I have plenty of back up.

I have one in my 45 Omega Brux.I don't know if the threads are different or not. I'm sure someone here can answer.I also have a lrmp plug as well as a standard 209 plug for both my Encore or Omega .
Is it just me or does anyone else not worry that these smaller rifle buiders may quit making and move on to something new and you won't be able to get replacement parts? Perfect example, I came back from Iowa 2 seasons ago thinking I would be getting Bestill to build me an Omega only to find out he wasn't building them anymore except the $5000 plus one. So , I built an Arrowhead Encore with the nice rifle ignition, but I bought a standard 209 plug from him so if he quit offering modules, I can always go back to the old reliable ignition. Same with my Omega, I always want to be able to go back to the old reliable if I have too.

Yes, the regular Woodman plug (in your Brux) and the Woodman Omega plug are different threads.

View attachment 40842
I had never even looked and compared them.Unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time. After work my brain is fried and on weekends I just try to decompress from the week.Its a blessing, but I have way too many projects at one time for one person to manage. Finding someone to hire to help is a challenge thse days.

For me an OEM Omega breech plug is a waste of money even if it is brand new, and inexpensive. A far better investment is an Omega plug from Woodman or from Bestill.
Both plugs can be sized to provide a perfect fit to any primer, whereas the OEM plug cannot.

My advice to Omega shooters is pass on OEM breech plugs, and save the money to put into a Woodman, or a Bestill breech plug; they are so very much better.
Your advice would extend to the TC Encore owners as well?

The problem with the OEM plugs is they are too short for use in my 45 caliber. Lots of leaking around the nose of the primers. For good clean shooting the Bestill plug is used after it is sized to 'crush' plenty, but not too much CCI 209 primers, and Federal 209a primers. The same Bestill breech plug is also used in 50 caliber Omega(s).

A deeper primer socket of the Bestill plug also prevents blow through from happening, and keeps the rifles cleaner. Also have one of Bestill plugs milled to fit the STS primers, which are a way too short for use in OEM plugs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back