Got one

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I went out about 5:30 this morning. Started off a little rough. When I arrived at my blind I set my coffee on the deck. I have been looking real forward to this cup (mug). Yesterday and the day before I baby sat my 3 1/2 and 1 1/4 year old grandsons. I love the kids but piece and quiet with a hot coffee was high on my agenda. I bumped it and it was gone. I could hear it run through the cracks of the deck into the leaves below. Crap. I set out the 3 decoys and went inside. Darn, wheres my call???? Its usually here. Cant find it.

Oh well. I sat with my eyes closed and the windows open hoping to hear the Toms but no sound was heard. Not a deer, a squirrel, nothing. I took a bath last night but something is going on out here. At 7:30 I saw a turkey and she had a destination in mind. Hot footing it and gone. Then it was quiet again until 9:00 and I noticed I needed to do a little house cleaning before I go. I wasn't going to leave until 10 but wanted to move slow and keep my eyes open. I texted my wife I was going to leave at 10:30 because I know this area and I usually see turkeys after 9:00. Got the place all cleaned up and checked the windows before stepping out on the deck.

When I stepped out I thought I heard a gobble. Or was it that I wanted to hear a gobble. I went back in and texted my wife I think I heard a gobble. Before I could send it he gobbled again. Game on. Follow up text there is a gobbler somewhere nearby. Ill let you know when Im leaving. I sent it, looked up, and he was coming. 110 yards or so. He made a straight line to the decoys, all by himself. He got to about 35 yards and it was like he ran into a glass plate. Stopped dead and turned and ran. What the????? I almost took the shot but lots of season left. He stops at about 50 yards and turns to watch those decoys. After 5-7 minutes he starts moving in. Got to about 23 yards. I was waiting for him to pass behind a tree so I could move my gun into position. As tense as he was I wanted to be real careful.

Guns up and aiming. He comes around to the right side of the tree. I should have shot him there but was looking for a little more clearance. He stopped. I thought Oh, Oh. Hes going to run again. He turned around and peeked from the left side of the tree. Make sure your muzzle is outside the blind when you shoot. My ears rang for a minute or two. 12 gauge 3" 4 shot 1 7/8 ounces.

45 inches tail to nose
1 inch spirs
9 1/2" beard
just over 23 pounds.

IMG_3032.JPG

Last edited:
I went out about 5:30 this morning. Started off a little rough. When I arrived at my blind I set my coffee on the deck. I have been looking real forward to this cup (mug). Yesterday and the day before I baby sat my 3 1/2 and 1 1/4 year old grandsons. I love the kids but piece and quiet with a hot coffee was high on my agenda. I bumped it and it was gone. I could hear it run through the cracks of the deck into the leaves below. Crap. I set out the 3 decoys and went inside. Darn, wheres my call???? Its usually here. Cant find it.

Oh well. I sat with my eyes closed and the windows open hoping to hear the Toms but no sound was heard. Not a deer, a squirrel, nothing. I took a bath last night but something is going on out here. At 7:30 I saw a turkey and she had a destination in mind. Hot footing it and gone. Then it was quiet again until 9:00 and I noticed I needed to do a little house cleaning before I go. I wasn't going to leave until 10 but wanted to move slow and keep my eyes open. I texted my wife I was going to leave at 10:30 because I know this area and I usually see turkeys after 9:00. Got the place all cleaned up and checked the windows before stepping out on the deck.

When I stepped out I thought I heard a gobble. Or was it that I wanted to hear a gobble. I went back in and texted my wife I think I heard a gobble. Before I could send it he gobbled again. Game on. Follow up text there is a gobbler somewhere nearby. Ill let you know when Im leaving. I sent it, looked up, and he was coming. 110 yards or so. He made a straight line to the decoys, all by himself. He got to about 35 yards and it was like he ran into a glass plate. Stopped dead and turned and ran. What the????? I almost took the shot but lots of season left. He stops at about 50 yards and turns to watch those decoys. After 5-7 minutes he starts moving in. Got to about 23 yards. I was waiting for him to pass behind a tree so I could move my gun into position. As tense as he was I wanted to be real careful.

Guns up and aiming. He comes around to the right side of the tree. I should have shot him there but was looking for a little more clearance. He stopped. I thought Oh, Oh. Hes going to run again. He turned around and peeked from the left side of the tree. Make sure your muzzle is outside the blind when you shoot. My ears rang for a minute or two. 12 gauge 3" 4 shot 1 7/8 ounces.

45 inches tail to nose
1 inch spirs
9 1/2' beard
just over 23 pounds.

View attachment 33730
Congrats on a nice bird

Great hunt! My brother can hunt off his deck too. I might, but I want to get away from the house. I don't think I'd hunt from the hot tub either. But this isn't about me. Congratulations on a great hunt and a great bird.

LOL I thought about the deck thing when I wrote this. The deck is on the side of my blind. Climb the ladder get on the deck then open the door and enter. But now that you brought it up when I got home I came downstairs to put my gun away and there was a hen looking in the window 8 feet away. So hunting off of my home deck is an option. :roll:

45 inches tail to nose
1 inch spirs
9 1/2" beard
just over 23 pounds.

View attachment 33730
Sorry this is so late Snap but dynamite story and an awesome bird.

45 inches tail to nose
1 inch spirs
9 1/2" beard
just over 23 pounds.

View attachment 33730
Great story and the bird is in gravy heaven!/Ed

Latest posts

Back