great plains hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeers

Reaction score
Has anybody here tried to shoot a sabot and bullet combo in a great plains hunter ?Its a 1/32 twist....pretty fast twist just curiuos about what combo and what powder charge and if ff or fff powder worked better ? I gonna find out but looking for input from anyone else that may have experimented. I shortened my gp hunter to 26 inches to make a carbine a little easier to handle when carrying all day. and with the fast twist Im just curious what other guys may have had good luck with in theirs .I know the hornady great plains 385gr shot well before just lookin for input!

I have the same rifle. Mine is a flintlock. 80 grains of 2f black powder seem to be the magic number. Although last week I was shooting 70 grains and some Great Plains Conical bullets.

I have found that the 300 grain XTP in a black MMP hph24 sabot with 80 grains shoots pretty good. I was also shooting roundball out of the rifle and it does pretty good with them.

The real kicker if you want to spend the money is 80 grains of powder and a 295 grain Powerbelt. Mine just flat out shoots them.

Twist is a highly misunderstood term in muzzle loaders. Just because you have a fast ROT, like 1/32, doesn't mean much until you shoot it. You commonly hear that 1/48 is the ?compromise twist?. Baloney!
If that were true why did so many original muzzle loaders come with 1/48 ROT long before conical, much less PowerBelts,were even invented?
The 'type' of rifling is way more of a factor than ROT.

fff ?

I shortened mine to 26 in to make a carbine . not sure if that was a mistake or not just wanted to make it easier to handle . have u tried 3f as aposed to 2f powder? I do have the green saots and xtp 300gr bullets,havent tried them yet though. they wont shoot out of the1/48 twist in my T/C hawkin.

I consider 2f and 3f as interchangeable, to a point. It is advisable to reduce your 3f load by 15% or so when you go to 3f.

What do you mean?
?they wont shoot out of the1/48 twist in my T/C hawkin ?
They don't group well?
I have found that heavy loads that are near the manufacturer's load limit don't shoot any thing well. You might try a reduced charge and try again. I shoot RB most of the time and my best load is only 70 grs of either 2f or 65grs of 3f in my TC Hawken.
I never shoot 150 gr max loads in my in-lines. Around 100 grs in them seem like a pretty accurate load but my Power Belt sabots like only 90 grs.
Power Belt is not my favorite sabot.

I have tried 3f and 2f in my GPH and found that my rifle shoots better with 2f powder. In my T/C Hawken, I shoot 80 grains and a sabot combination with good results. Try a lighter bullet like a 240 grain and reduce the powder. If you push them too hard, in a moderate twist, the accuracy can get rather bad, in my experience.

Ebiggs I also shoot prb a lot .I have a 54 cal I shoot and a 50 cal 1/66 twist that shoots only prb.I have this great plains hunter that I shortened to 26 in barrel. It has a fast twist so I was thinkin it may shoot sabots well,just something different. Oh Im getting beat up by my brother he dont like the sabots or anything modern. I tried the sabots in a 1/ 48 twist they shoot very poor for me anyway.

This is actually a great question. I was considering taking a GPH in .50 cal on next years elk hunt. I was wondering if a No Excuses 460 would do well with 80 grains of goex FF. Not even sure if that's a safe/recommended load for Investarms barrels.

Next time I hit the range with my GPH I am going to try some .504 diameter 450 grain conical bullets I cast. I will lube then with different lubes and try them with and without wads. But if I can get one of them accurate with say 80 grains of black powder that will be my go to load. Even if I can get it good with 70 grains ... in that area.

Looks like I'll be shooting a .54 GPH instead of a .50 :lol: Third Generation Shooters Supply had one on closeout for $389....only $150 more than a replacement barrel! It's a lefty too! They have one more lefty and a couple other models on closeout as well in case anyone else besides me thinks it's a killer deal! .54 is an unusual caliber for a conical gun, but there are still plenty bullets available to experiment with....

I saw them when I was looking for a barrel. That is a heck of a deal.

Latest posts

Back