Green Mountain barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk_driver

Reaction score
Jedediah Starr has GM replacement barrels in stock, some .50's with 1-70 twist and I think they had 45, 50 and 54 with the fast twist. I just got a 1-70 50 twist yesterday. Just thought I would pass this on since they have gotten hard to find.

They are great barrels. I own a number of them in many calibers and twists. Not a bad one in the bunch.

I wish they made one for the New Englander. I'd like a 1-70 twist for a PRB.

Muley Hunter said:
I wish they made one for the New Englander. I'd like a 1-70 twist for a PRB.

Muley, you need to get yourself a Renegade stock and a 1:70 replacement barrel. Cut the forend of the stock four inches shorter. Cut the barrel back to 26 inches, and have it turned 15/16" round from the tip of the forend to the muzzle. Any machine shop can turn the barrel.

Shguns,

I have only had it to the range once. It has proven to be a very accurate barrel in that one trip. I ran 33 shots thru it, and when I found a load it appeared to like, it put 3 balls literally thru one hole at 50 yards. I am hoping to get it out this weekend and see if it will repeat itself.

Had it back out again today. At 50 yards, with 90 grains of 2F, it was almost stacking three PRB's on top of each other. Previous load was 70 grains of 3F. Finally ran it out to 100, shooting a 8" bull, shooting 2 shot groups to get it sighted in, it was putting the 2 shots within 1.5". Got it on at 100 and spent about an hour popping milk jugs.

On another note, I just started shooting Grafs powder in both 2 and 3F in a 32, 50 and 54. I think it burns quite a bit cleaner than Goex. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wish Green Mountain still made these barrels so I could get one in 54 with the 1-70 twist.

How about calling Jedediah Starr Co and asking if they can put one together for you??

A few years back... Goex had a plant explosion and it was near impossible to get their powder for a while. So I started shooting Graf's and Sons powder, Wano, and Schuetzen. I think all three of them are the same thing. But I like the powder so much, its what I shoot now. Although they had the Schuetzen on sale last time, so I purchased that instead. All of it comes from the same factory.

Latest posts

Back