Henry 45/70 conversion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on converting a Henry single shot 45/70 into smokeless muzzle loader. This has a 22 inch barrel with 1/20 twist weights close to 7 pounds unscoped. I have read a lot about the scouts and handi rifle. Thinking the Henry might work nicley

Try a.452 or.451 bullet in the bore and if one of them fits run it down the bore and check to see if the bore is consistent in size from one end to the other. If they are too tight and you have or can borrow a adjustable sizing die you can do the same. Unless the bore is not consistent in size I don’t see any reason why you can’t make a sml out of it.

It will work I have 2 Knight KP-1 barrels converted and shoot lights out. Follow load data for Scout's 4198 or 4227. If it doesn't have a good trigger, I would have a smith fix that first before converting to SML. Most of the handi rifles that I had looked at had horrible triggers.

It would likely work but personally I don't care for the looks of the Henry. I don't like the lever to open the action and the profile just looks odd to me. The CVA seems more streamlined and sleeker IMO. Also the takedown model has a muzzle brake which greatly reduces felt recoil. Not sure but I would assume the Henry is a bit more costly. Of course its a personal choice.

Back