heart/lung shot vs neck shot ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much of a hassle. A crossbow is the most clumsy thing i've ever handled. A cocked crossbow cannot be transported: Got to uncock the crossbow by firing a blunt into the dirt or something.
No, you can easily decock a xbow as long as you have a cocking cable. I've done this for several years now. As for being clumsy yea I'll go along with that. But IMO the advantages far out weigh the cons. I've hunted with a bow for over 55 years now. First recurve then compound and now xbow. Honestly, once I get my muscles tuned up I can shoot a compound more accurately at longer distances than xbow. But when a target animal is coming in it is much easier to shoulder the xbow and wait for the optimum shot than trying to draw a verticle bow without being detected.
If hunting with a xbow is not your thing so be it. The reasons you stated though are pretty lame! Both your hunts you said you were sitting in a lawn chair. I'd guess the lawn chair was more clumsy than the xbow to carry. While I like being comfortable when I'm hunting IMO a lawn chair is taking that to extremes!

I've hunted with vertical bows for about 40 years and crossbows this last 9 years.
It's pretty much a given that I'm gonna lose at least one arrow per season. I think that 3 arrows lost one particular season was my record.
With the arrow and broadhead running about 15 bucks or so each, it gets expensive but not so much that I'll quit anytime soon.

Yes we do lose them. But isn`t it odd when you purchase arrows or bolts and get them tuned with your favorite colored fletchings and broadhead etc the manufacturer comes out with the next latest and greatest product. Then were back in the money pit again trying to obtain the same perfection we had. Marketing LOL. Not to change the thread just a thought.

This will be my 1st year doing any hunting . So now I have a crossbow and a muzzle later. The crossbow seems like a excellent option to get a month jump on gun season which doesn't start until November. Everything isn't for everybody.

Yes we do lose them. But isn`t it odd when you purchase arrows or bolts and get them tuned with your favorite colored fletchings and broadhead etc the manufacturer comes out with the next latest and greatest product. Then were back in the money pit again trying to obtain the same perfection we had. Marketing LOL. Not to change the thread just a thought.
I shoot stock Easton XX75 2219's off my Excalibur Grizzly.
I also have a fletching jig to refletch my arrows as needed.
I can get a half dozen Eastons for about 30 bucks, or at least I used to, Lol. Not sure what they cost today. I think I have about 50 arrows on hand. So I won't have to buy any for a while.

This will be my 1st year doing any hunting . So now I have a crossbow and a muzzle later. The crossbow seems like a excellent option to get a month jump on gun season which doesn't start until November. Everything isn't for everybody.
Thats awesome that you go from no hunting to hunting with a muzzleloader & a crossbow.

In the great state of Mizzery we can legally hunt during the firearms season most center fire cartridges. If I am using 5.56/.223 a neck shot is easier to do and what I would recommend doing. All shots are under 100 yards and I reload ammunition specifically for this purpose.

Thats awesome that you go from no hunting to hunting with a muzzleloader & a crossbow.
I'm a transplanted city boy .lived in and around Richmond most of my life outside of 1 year in OK and a few in NC . Met my lady on line and moved up here with her 5 years ago and got introduced to deer jerkey and LOVED it . And given world events since covid came around almost 4 years ago I don't want to depend on grocery stores to be our only source of meat or rely on the generosity of friends or her family if things really go down hill .

I've only purposely tried a neck shot 4 times. Twice on mule deer running straight away, and I hit them both in the butt. Damn jumping deer. Once on an elk, when he was laying in his bed, and his body was obscured. That was only about 30 yards, and he just slumped over drt. The last one I attempted was on a small forkhorn looking at me over the brush at 75 yards. Through the scope, I saw hair blow off the side of his neck and he went down. Then got back up and ran. Several hours later, I caught up to him and dropped him with a second shot. The first shot had just barely grazed him, just barely broke the skin and blew off a 2 inch patch of hair. Overall, not a big fan of neck shots under most field conditions. Not at my skill level.
Not at most skill level either of others either , and not something admitted too ! To easy to say must of missed and carry on /Ed

My preferred muzzleloader or centerfire shot on deer is a quartering to low neck shot. Right about where the neck meets the body. Never had a deer so much as flinch from this shot. They have all dropped in their tracks. Typically, the bullet exits the opposite side at just about the last rib. Very minimal meat damage if any with this shot as well.

thanks to all who have replied :)

so it seems ... as always .... shot placement is the most important part . seems like a fairly well mixed bag between folks using/preferring a neck shot vs a heart/lung shot and a few being comfortable with either .

i will ALWAYS go heart/lung with my Xbow !

since i'll be new at deer hunting i'll stick with heart/lung for my ML this year to see potentially how much i'm effected by deer/buck fever .

thanks again folks , jeff

thanks to all who have replied :)

so it seems ... as always .... shot placement is the most important part . seems like a fairly well mixed bag between folks using/preferring a neck shot vs a heart/lung shot and a few being comfortable with either .

i will ALWAYS go heart/lung with my Xbow !

since i'll be new at deer hunting i'll stick with heart/lung for my ML this year to see potentially how much i'm effected by deer/buck fever .

thanks again folks , jeff
Just be patient and wait the first opening of a clean and ethical shot. Only take shots you feel comfortable and confident with. Practice with and be proficient with your gun or bow before entering the woods.
Good Luck!

Jeff, Have you thought about some type of rest? Since your new to this, don't know how proficient you are off hand shooting....
I like a tri pod trigger stick, but have also used the bi pod. The tri pod will stand on its own is the reasoning, so you can move the rifle off
them in case of a surprise! You can also make your own, just an idea, you of course can use a tree to brace yourself. I have been caught
too many times with no tree close when a shot presents itself and I'm not good off hand any longer.

An old deer hunter told me years ago, take your first best shot or your last best shot.
I didn't exactly understand what he meant at first but as the years went by and I got more experienced, I get it.
Don't be afraid to just watch the deer as it comes in. Don't get all nervous and take a **** shot. It's best to not shoot at all rather than make a horrible shot and never recover the deer.

Back