Heartbroken, he gave me another chance and I made a poor hit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
I'm about ready to run over my bow and give it up. :( 'My' buck came back last night and I hit him high in the shoulder blade. I left him overnight and just spent since daybreak looking for him with no luck. I got about 3" of penetration based on the broken arrow and virtually no blood trail. Never more than a drop or 2 and only 5 instances of that. It was about 20' elevation and 22 yds away. I'm shooting great penetrator (Rocket Ultimate Steel 1") at about 61 ftlbs KE so I'm pretty sure I shot through blade and hit spine because the sound of the impact and the fact that my knock was ejected. He made a 400 circle and headed back to where he came from but no blood and lots of tracks is making it impossible to figure him out. I'm not a total rookie, killed 13 with a bow, but it was a sickening mistake and I'm not sure I can go back out. I hope he survives and doesn't suffer too much. Had to get it off my chest, never lost one like this before and I feel like crap. :cry: I appreciate having a forum to vent this to.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it. It doesn't really matter WHAT weapon one picks to hunt with...it WILL happen from time to time. It makes you sick to your stomach but you gotta get back in the game. Looks to me as if you've really done well!

I know the feeling as I have been there myself. You can not let it bother you. All you can do is take it in stride and try harder not to let it happen again.

Sorry, been there myself.
It is a negative experience but if you learn from it and do not repeat the same mistakes it will become a positive just for the fact that it may be the last one you loose because you learned something.

I think we have all been there. If anyone does any amount of hunting it will happen eventually. It has happened to me several times. I never forget the ones I miss or wound. It still haunts me 12 years later. Anyway it sounds like you hit the shoulder and not the spine and he will survive. Deer are tough resiliant animals. Keep your chin up, you may get another crack at him.
Good luck,
Frank

same thing happened to me w/ a squirrel this morning. it moved just as i was squeezing the trigger, so i got a maim instead of a kill. i looked for that dang thing for nearly half an hr after it scampered away into the brush. squirrel and deer arent in the same league, but it gnaws at me to lose any animal.

Thanks everyone for the help on this issue...

I spent yesterday again beating the bush trying to find any more sign of him with no luck. I'm sure he's still alive and probably will make it. It's a tough one but I'm going to deal with it and try not to ever do it again, and yes, I will still bowhunt. I 'fessed up to my wife and daughter on what happened and they were understanding as well (both vegetarian animal lovers). They said that as long as us hunters are compassionate and honorable about what we do, no one can hold something like that against us.
GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON to all of us :)

Look....don't take this the wrong way, but...I'm glad something like this hurts you so bad. Shows you got a lot of compassion and character, and love for the animal as well as the sport. Been there done that! Now... Shake It Off!
Glad to know ya!... :)

I always get excited about taking game, getting a shot at game or even seeing game (no matter how big or small). I always get upset about missing (see my quote below) and feel even worse if I make a bad hit. If these up & down feelings of excitement and heartbreak ever go away, thats the day I give up hunting. We are all human and although we spend countless hours practicing and try to pick our shots we cant always control the outcome. I know there will always be ups & downs but the bottom line is we all love hunting and hope it never gets old. What ever dosent kill you makes you stronger. You will get your chance again, we never know when but it will happen if you put the time in. Get out there and get your buck you still have the rest of the season.
Just remember, getting an even bigger one will make this one a little less painfull.
Frank

Back