Hello Folks. ..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwayne

Reaction score
Thought I would say hello. . .

Been shooting rock scratchers for over 30 years. Have a underhammer too.

I found this forum by accident, when I was looking through some messages, and decided to come check it out.

Dwayne

Hey there Dwayne. Welcome.

We don't see a lot of underhammers here. Tell us about yours - model, loads, accuracy, etc. And we do love pictures.

Semisane said:
Hey there Dwayne. Welcome.

We don't see a lot of underhammers here. Tell us about yours - model, loads, accuracy, etc. And we do love pictures.

Mine is a Faeton Underhammer. .. .62 cal.

a hunting load is approx 180 grains of 2F behind a PRB.
It has a Forsyth rifling. Custom Made.

I will try to upload some pictures of it.

I have not done any "accuracy" tests on it per say. . .Not like my 50 cal guns.

At 75 yards, it tears up the hedge apples. . .makes salad out of them. Something my 50 cal can't do. <smile>

Here is a picture of my Faeton 62 cal underhammer. . .

Well, I thought I would upload a picture!

I can't figure out how to do it on this forum. :cry: [/img]

photo.JPG

Beautiful rifle. Looks like the ones a person out in Washington had on a web site in that caliber for sale. I bet that really shoots nice. But that is a large powder charge. That would put a world of hurt on an elk.

Good looking rifle you got there.And one question, Is That your shooting buddy there with you when you made that picture.

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
Good looking rifle you got there.And one question, Is That your shooting buddy there with you when you made that picture.
Yes. That is my cougar. If I miss she will run it down, gut it and skin it by the time I get there.

Rifle weighs in about 9 pounds.
Accuracy (so far) that I have done with it, has not been on paper yet. I have shot many hedge apples at 70 yards, and it hits them most of the time.
At that distance, my eyes are not the best. . .<smile>.

I will be paper tuning it hopefully this summer. I have had this gun for about 5 months. I have not worked out a load for it. It does well with 180 grains of 2F behind a PRB.

Took it out this last month and shot a deer at about 40 yards? Deer didn't run very far.

I thought about mounting a scope on it. (for my eyes), but I am somewhat reluctant to do so. I love the gun the way it is.

I don't know the velocity. . .I will someday run it through a Chrono.

It is custom made, and it is also made not to come apart. (You can, but not recommended).

Cleanup is a breeze.

With that Forsyth rifling, you don't have the "crud" inbetween the grooves, like you do a regular rifle.

the twist is 1:106 (if I remember correctly)

loading is a breeze. . .no short starter needed. Just put your patch around your ball, press the PRB in the end of the barrel (takes about 1/2 pound of force) and your PRB will slide right down the barrel with that same 1/2 pound of force.

lock time is extremely fast. AS fast as it gets.

Shoots musket caps.

Shoots .60 with .18 patches nicely (Approx 310 to 320 grains, depending upon density of lead).

Doesn't jump up and bite you in the cheek, like some guns.

I hope that answered most of your questions.

Back