Help choosing a rifle for Montana weapons restrictions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technology has its way of making things easier while sometimes adding confusion via a plethora of new choices, thus dictating the introduction of rules and regulations by bureaucrats and know-nothings.

Any trad sidelock firearm that utilizes any trad sidelock ignition system is a century or so behind most any modern inline. My flintlock smoothbore (front sight only, no rear sight, no rifling, patched ball loaded) is typically deer/hog ethically effective to about 50 yards, whilst an inline (or tricked out side lock) is typically good for an added hundred yards or more distance, for making DRT meat. I have no problem with any of that. It's up to all hunters to hunt safely and ethically. But still, with some suburban hunting venues, it can be like entering a war zone - I'll pass on that.

Also, "primitive" season all too often lumps hand drawn/released archery bows along side preloaded trigger weapons = crossbows, "airbows", and muzzleloaders. Makes no sense to me.

I know I'm following up on a ollllld post, but... I finally ordered my first muzzle loader.

It wasn't actually for the "weapons restriction" in Montana which is what I started this thread for. I choose one for the December heritage season here, which specifically targets "traditional" sidelock rifles. I pulled the trigger on a .54 cal investarm gemmer hawken in percussion. I noticed it just came in stock, and put in the order. I was very close to getting the traditions kentucky in .50 cal before this showed up, but I prefered the look of the gemmer hawken, and that I could get it in in .54 cal. If I get one for weapons restriction, I'll target an inline rifle.

I've also come to believe that a slower twist rate much favors round ball, and if I'm going to have a round ball gun I'm going all out for round ball. I preferred .54 cal as you're pretty much stuck with bullet weight in RB. It is very likely I'll have opportunity for elk and mule deer with this rifle.

The kentucky and the gemmer hawken both have a 1:60 twist rate (the kentucky might be 1:66, cant' remember), and is the primary reason they were on my list (also, we've been limited by what stays in stock). I didn't really want a 1:48. While that is a flexible twist rate, I wanted something that was intended for the projectile being used. If I were to get EXACTLY what I wanted, it would be the double barrel Pedersoli, but that is a $1700 purchase. I need to fall in love with this type of firearm before I'll make that purchase. They have a 1:24 twist rate, ideal for connicals as I understand it, and over all just a high quality attractive firearm. Having a loaded barrel ready for follow up sounds like a good thing to have, especially if I'm aiming it at Elk.

So, a gemmer hawken is in the mail as I type.... we'll see how much I use it. I have a feeling this won't be the last muzzle stuffer I buy.

Latest posts

Back