HELP!! Which Muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKG

Reaction score
I'm new to this, and am having trouble deciding which rifle to buy. Is there a difference between the TC Firehawk, Thunderhawk, and the Black Diamond? Would any of these be a better choice in 50 cal for eastern deer hunting? I fould a White Shooting Systems 504 cal rifle at a local shop for $279. Is this a good choice? What about a Knight Wolverine? Money is tight, and I need your input!!

If I recall correctly, the thunderhawk and firehawk are 1/38 twisted rifles and neither has a removable breechplug. T/C no longer makes either rifle. The black Diamond is a similar rifle, but with a removable breechplug and a 1/28 twist. Any of these would work, but if your looking to shoot sabots I'd pick the Black Diamond.

The White .504 (you don't mention model) is designed for heavy conicals. These haven't been made for some time but they do have a following.

The Knight Wolverine is a dandy little rifle, and of all the choices mentioned would be my pick. The bolt/striker comes out and is cleaned as once piece and it also has a removable breechplug. My wife had one of these and it shot competitively with my more expensive Disc Extreme.

DKG said:
I'm new to this, and am having trouble deciding which rifle to buy. Is there a difference between the TC Firehawk, Thunderhawk, and the Black Diamond? Would any of these be a better choice in 50 cal for eastern deer hunting? I fould a White Shooting Systems 504 cal rifle at a local shop for $279. Is this a good choice? What about a Knight Wolverine? Money is tight, and I need your input!!

I have owned a TC FireHawk in .54 cal. for seven years before selling it three years ago to buy the Encore. The FireHawk liked Knight 260 grain bullets/red sabot and 100 gr. pyrodex. It doesn't have a removeable breechplug and twist is 1:38 with open breech/#11 ignition. TC also makes a 209 kit if you want to update, same for the ThunderHawk and Black Diamond.

The only difference between the ThunderHawk and FireHawk is the plunger style action.
I have seen all of them in action and all are shooters if you do your part and find what load they like. The Black Diamond is the only one still made, but all are covered by the TC lifetime warranty.

I bought a TC System One .50 rifle/.12 ga. shotgun NIB this past spring. It is also basically the same as the FireHawk, but has a removable breechplug/barrel combinations.

I don't know enough about the Whites, but if that rifle is new/stainless the price is about right.

The White was a Lightning. I don't know anyhting about it. Can anyone help me?

Ask that dealer if he'll take 250 shipped to MO. :wink:

Batchief can tell you about the Lightning. I believe there were about 2000 units of that rifle made. Came in .50 caliber only. It was very well made using a one piece barrel and receiver. The plunger action is unique to that rifle so replacement parts would be very hard to locate if ever needed. I believe another difference was the location of the cocking handle is on the shooter's right. Most similar White short plunger actions have that handle on the left.

Doc has indicated few if any of those rifles were ever returned for service or accurizing (as Doc calls his process).

You should have bought that Lightning UC.. :lol: It's a great shooter with about anything you want to put down it. I'm currently setting it up for a small 10 year old lad for his first ML deer hunt this season. I've put a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on it so the kid doesn't get scope bit, and shooting the 240gr. XTPs with 65gr. of T7/2F. Mild recoil, and for the range he'll be shooting which will be 40 yards or less,,it should do him well. I hope to capture his first kill on video. :wink:

Latest posts

Back