Help!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcat_hunter

Reaction score
I have a new 54 cal great plains. I have about 50 shots thrugh it w/no problems. Today I shot four shots and on my fith shot, it would not fire. The percussion caps would not bang. I tried several and some would go off and some would not. Then the gun finally fired. The next shot did the same thing but the gun would not fire. I went through about seven percussion caps, some would bang and some would not. The gun would not fire. Would this be a problem with my nipple maybe?? By the way I tried percussion caps from two seperate batches so I dought that they are at fault.

What kind of caps are you using Bigcat_hunter? I don't know your set up, but you might replace the factory nipple with a hot shot nipple and try the CCI #11 caps.

Bigcat_hunter said:
I have a new 54 cal great plains. I have about 50 shots thrugh it w/no problems. Today I shot four shots and on my fith shot, it would not fire. The percussion caps would not bang. I tried several and some would go off and some would not. Then the gun finally fired. The next shot did the same thing but the gun would not fire. I went through about seven percussion caps, some would bang and some would not. The gun would not fire. Would this be a problem with my nipple maybe?? By the way I tried percussion caps from two seperate batches so I dought that they are at fault.

If this is the original nipple from Lymans.. it could very well be the problem. For some reason they build a great rifle then put a terrible nipple on them I would replace the nipple with a new stainless steel one.

Next I would check to make sure the hammer is in true alignment to the nipple. Sometimes they are a little slanted and this can cause you problems.

Next, if it fires five times in a row then starts to act up, take some isopropyl alcohol and make sure there is no fowling crud building up on the nipple. This black fowling crud can be enough to keep the new cap from seating firmly against the nipple, so the hammer falls, and sets the cap but does not ignite it. The next hammer strike fires it, and so on. Keep the nipple clean. Some alcohol and Q-tips will solve this. Also look into the nose of your hammer and make sure that the old spent caps are not fragmenting and building up in there. Clean that out with a Q-tip also.

When you cock the hammer I am guessing it is not catching as it falls on the half cock slowing the hammer strike down is it. Check that as well. Take a cotton patch and lay that over the nipple then cock and fire the hammer onto that cloth. It should cut the patch between the nipple and the hammer or seriously damage the material, with the fall of the hammer.

The last guess would be a bad hammer spring. If the rifle is new I would doubt it, unless you have been dry firing the rifle a lot. My first looking place would be the new nipple and cleaning the old one between shots. Also make sure you pick any material out of the nipple with a nipple pick. I was watching people a while back and hardly anyone picks the nipples anymore. I do and I still notice fowling in there which can cause a misfire.

Also - let me welcome you to the forum.. there are a great bunch of people here with tons of information. It's always good to have another.

Hi cayuga, I am "gandilamont" from the hunting board. For some reason I cant get the "bigcat" handle on that board. But anyway I got the ball out with a CO2 tank.

Well someone must have your name already used. Which is not a big deal I guess.

Glad to hear that you got the ball out. They can be a devil at times.

Bigcat,

Make sure that the cap is setting down on the top of the nipple. If it is riding high, it has to be forced down the nipple then flatened. If it is high, file and taper the top, till the cap fits...........not too loose.

Back