Heres how its going

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hausser1 is visiting today. Hes out there while I write this. We saw a small fawn before shooting light. At 8:00 a 6-7 inch spike. At about 9:00 a small doe but not a fawn. At 9:30 2 spikes, not sure if one was the same seen earlier. So 5 deer watched. I have a few chores to do so Hausser1 is keeping an eye on the place while Im gone for a few hours. If the big buck comes out to play while Im gone Hausser1 will close the deal for me.
Good luck to you both.

11/29
Hausser1 is visiting today. Hes out there while I write this. We saw a small fawn before shooting light. At 8:00 a 6-7 inch spike. At about 9:00 a small doe but not a fawn. At 9:30 2 spikes, not sure if one was the same seen earlier. So 5 deer watched. I have a few chores to do so Hausser1 is keeping an eye on the place while Im gone for a few hours. If the big buck comes out to play while Im gone Hausser1 will close the deal for me.

This afternoon we saw 2 more spikes. couple of fawns and a spike with some mutation that interfered with his ears.

Ok, we saw 5 spikes maybe 6. Could be the same 3 twice or whatever.

Change in strategy. If Im hunting 8 points + and seeing spikes all day.
Tomorrow I hunt for spikes. Hopefully Ill see the 8+all day
Ill try anything LOL
That’s awesome guys, I hope you have a blast together & drop a cpl big bucks

No meat, but could have shot any number of spikes/does. Maybe if we were near the end of the season.
It was a great hunt and awesome company. I think snapbang missed his calling as he'd make a great outfitter!
The hoof prints were everywhere, some huge. Could be one of the elusive 8+ we were hunting. We didn't get him this time, but we're quite sure that sometime in the not so distant future, ... he's coming.

11/29

This afternoon we saw 2 more spikes. couple of fawns and a spike with some mutation that interfered with his ears.

Ok, we saw 5 spikes maybe 6. Could be the same 3 twice or whatever.

Change in strategy. If Im hunting 8 points + and seeing spikes all day.
Tomorrow I hunt for spikes. Hopefully Ill see the 8+all day
Ill try anything LOL
Shoot four spikes, that will give you eight points.

Didnt see a thing this morning. Well Im done with buck season for now. 16 days of 8 hours plus a day. I only missed two afternoon hunts. Today (11/30) is one of them.
Tomorrow I babysit the grandchildren then back at it Saturday morning but only until 8:45. We are going to take a few hours to see if we can locate one wild pheasant to shoot at. Ill be back out to the stand by 3 so there's another opportunity.

Sunday I have a lad coming to shoot a deer. Im going to let him shoot anything he wants except Lewey. Haussr1 saw Lewey. Hes a tike. Kind of my hang around buddy.
My next opportunity will be Thursday. Then again Saturday and Sunday. So Im getting down to the wire for buck hunting. After that its doe season and we will be shooting many.

In summary.

In the last 19 days of hunting Ive missed 1 complete day to babysit the grandchildren and 1 afternoon hunt to go to the Dr. Im out 1 hour ahead of shooting time and only leave to do a few chores and back by 1-1:30. See all kinds of deer. Lots of bucks but all unler 6 point, or broken,or mutated, or something. Today I had a son of my wifes work associate come out to kill his second ever deer. Only Lewey showed and Hes not a good choice if your looking at the dollars to process vs the meat recovered. Hes very tiny. (but delicious Im sure. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I work but going to try too get home to hunt Wednesday afternoon. My daughter in Law is having tonsils out at 30 on Wed. I might have to watch the grandchildren a little extra this week. My buck season (I have a doe season coming) is on the bubble. Thought I would have closed the deal by now but its not quite over yet.

I was able to get home in time to hunt tonight. 12/6/23. At 4:00 Lewey came out to be my decoy. When I have a deer in front of me I continue to scan. Thinking Mr buck is using Lewey as a distraction while he sneaks by. Off to my right a nice big doe silhouetted itself against some bright background.. Shes a big one and will probably be my target for doe season. Its early so Im excited that maybe tonight is the night. At 5:00 a fawn and another large do appear about 35 yards away. My gun already in the box blind window and temptation is setting in. But not tonight. Try again in the morning.

If at 1st you don,t suceed,well you know the rest.Went out this morning and saw O again.But there is still tonight.Things have got to change sometime.
Even a blind skeewhirrel finds a nut now & then brother. You know that persistence pays off. And you'll miss 10% of the shots you're not out there to take. Words I need to listen to myself honestly.

I was able to get home in time to hunt tonight. 12/6/23. At 4:00 Lewey came out to be my decoy. When I have a deer in front of me I continue to scan. Thinking Mr buck is using Lewey as a distraction while he sneaks by. Off to my right a nice big doe silhouetted itself against some bright background.. Shes a big one and will probably be my target for doe season. Its early so Im excited that maybe tonight is the night. At 5:00 a fawn and another large do appear about 35 yards away. My gun already in the box blind window and temptation is setting in. But not tonight. Try again in the morning.
I do get a chuckle reading about the adventures of Lewey

12/7

Hausser1 sat with me today. No deer this morning. I had to go for several hours and returned about 3pm. I used a different blind while Hausser1 used Trump tower. He saw a doe during shooting light but still asking to wait for an 8 point or better.

Lewey didnt even show today. Hes probably in a food coma somewhere. :roll:

Back