Hi all from Utah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.utah

Reaction score
Hi all.... This is Dave from Utah. This is such a great forum. So much information from some very experienced people on here. I spend most of my time kicking around the high Uintas and desert country of Utah. I love to hunt mule deer and elk with muzzleloaders. Never joined a forum before so it is all new to me.
I have been messing around with muzzleloaders for quite some time and really enjoy trying to find out what works best and look forward in exchanging information on all aspects of the sport.

My latest venture is with the Cooper Model 22 50 cal. Sweet rifle for sure. Used it this year to get a really good mountain mule deer
Before the Cooper, my go to rifle has been a Hawken Custom 50 caliber.... used it so dang much it feels like part of me. Taken quite a few deer and elk with it.
I have put together a couple of kit rifles... actually turned out better than I thought they would.

Some of the muzzleloaders I use are:
Cooper Model 22
Hawken Custom
Traditions Hawken
Knight MK 50
TC Encore
Tc Black Mountain Magnum

Welcome. That Cooper rifle sounds very nice. I have one Cooper, a 17 HMR.

I imagine UT may have a few more restrictive regulations for using a M-L during the m--l seasons? Much of the Midwest has gone to a free-for-all with M-L's, that means scopes and whatever ignition and projectile desired. I can see both sides of the issue. I'll use a modern inline when able.

Welcome from central Indiana. Enjoy the forum. Hpoe you have a great season.

Hello Muskrat30... actually this is the first year Utah allowed magnifying scopes on muzzleloaders. So I topped off the Cooper with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5 X 10. Kinda weird for me at first having a scope on a muzzy but I got used to it pretty quick. Definitely a different feel while out hunting than what I have ever been used to. I am still on the fence a little about it though... I killed a real nice mule buck at 200 yards a bit too easy. I mean... there was the buck, I put the crosshairs on him and pulled the trigger. Then all the work started. Now with the Hawken in the same situation I would have tried to get a bit closer.
I will say the Cooper is a real classy bugger with a walnut stock and blued barrel. Serial #8.
The load that seems to fit it best so far is 120 grains Blackhorn with a 200 grain Parker BE and a Harvester Crush rib Sabot.

Back