hog hunting with muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sja384

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am fairly new to muzzleloading and I killed my first muzzleloader deer this year. I was very impressed with the performance of my inline. I am currently shooting 90 gr. of 777 powder with a 250 gr. tc bonded shockwave. I am going hog hunting in May and was wondering if this would be a sufficient load for hogs as well. Thank you.

Idon't see any trouble with that load. Make sure you hit him in the right place..!! 8)

Thank you Bernie. I was going to take my 7mm Rem Mag but since I have strarted shooting a muzzleloader I find that I like it alot better for some reason. Take care and thanks alot.

That load will be fine. I read how they were hunting them with round ball and harvesting them just fine. That Barnes has much more trouble with it then a roundball. Just put it in the right place and you will be eating pork.

Big thing I would say is if not hunting for a trophy to hang shoot it in the head behind the ear or tight on the shoulder that grizzle plate on the shoulder is tuff but it can be punched, 50 should be no problem

Have never tried the bonded bullet but it should work very well. i have killed a lot of hogs with the plain old 250 grain SST/Shockwave: Some of them were pretty big and most of them bang flopped.

Hey sja384
I killed my first hog with a muzzle loader and used a 240gr bullet. He didnt take another step. Good luck to ya

I used that same bullet on one of my meanest, nastiest boars and it took him out clean. Shot placement is more important than bullet weight/construction.

Back