Hornady's new 30 T/C cartridge.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coh-1

Reaction score
I just got an email from Team Hornady and I've attached a link to an article about their new cartridge that is named the 30 T/C and will be available in T/C's new bolt action rifle called the Icon. I thought some of you might be interested.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=542

Curtis

I have not been a TC fan for a long time after working with their guns quite abit. However this new Icon has my attention, it is very innovative and well thought out. If the production guns are as good as the one tested in the guns and ammo article it should be a winner.

This is a nice looking rifle and does seem to be well thought out. I especially like the features: flat-bottom receiver mates to the Icon's aluminum bedding block, Sims recoil pad, trigger is easily adjustable by the user with a right-angle wrench that allows adjustment to be made without removing the rifle from the stock, and especially the solid-top receiver with its integral Picatinny-style rails. With all the write-up/innovations pointed toward improved accuracy, I am surprised that the rifle wasn't more accurate. Three, 3-shot groups isn't that much of an accuracy demonstration. I could probably get an off the shelf Remington 700 or Browning A-Bolt in .308 to do just as well.

I have a question. What will this new .30 caliber round do that the 30-06 wont do?

They claim a 150 grain bullet at 3000 fps. I have some handloads for the 30-06 that will do that.

The new cartridge can be in a shorter action and therefore a bit lighter. It may be somewhat more efficient in the bullet weight it is designed for. It cannot compete if heavier/longer bullets are used in my opinion as the bullet would have to be seated too deeply in the case and powder capacity lost.
As a deer cartridge it would work well, not with 220 grain bullets are my thoughts.
Nonetheless a nice looking well thought out TC centerfire rifle it can be used with.

I have a question. What will this new .30 caliber round do that the 30-06 wont do?

Absolutely nothing.

The new cartridge can be in a shorter action and therefore a bit lighter.

You would think. The tested rifle looks as if it weighs 8lbs...7.5 to 8lbs anyway. You can get a 700 BDL 30-06 that weighs.. 7 3/4 lbs...no improvement there.

30 T/C

IMO T/C would sell more Icon rifles in 260 rem than the 30 T/C.

Remember the 375 JDJ...????

Greg

I think what Hornady did here is apply similar technology from the .308 Marlin Express (shortened .307 Win , loaded to higher velocity) to the .308 Win round. It's a hair shorter, but loaded to higher velocity. Hornady has propellent and pressure testing technology that a handloader cannot match.

But, with the Icon being as heavy as many .30-06 rifles, ya might as well have the '06.

Re: 30 T/C

choc-dog said:

Greg
You maybe right but here is the thinking.
The 300WSM matches the 300WM but in a short action. Easily the most popular of the WSM line.
The 30T/C will match the 30/06 with the 150 grain bullet but in a short action.
I'm getting mine in .308 Win a favorite cartridge.

make it a 30T/C

Rich,

You have big critters in your northern neck of the woods..you may want more power such as the 30 T/C. :D

Just curious as to the problem T/C has in shipping you guns into Canada?

P. .S. Saw your show late week on the Mens Channel...enjoyed it.

Greg

Re: make it a 30T/C

choc-dog said:
Rich,

You have big critters in your northern neck of the woods..you may want more power such as the 30 T/C. :D

Just curious as to the problem T/C has in shipping you guns into Canada?

P. .S. Saw your show late week on the Mens Channel...enjoyed it.

Greg

Greg,
My first hunting rifle was a .308 and it has claimed a lot of animals over the years. My first grizzly, my B&C black bear and close to 60 moose. Heck one spring I did pest control with the old girl topping 42 bear with 43 shots in 2 weeks.
There is nothing in North America that I wouldn't hunt with the old .308! The 30 T/C will be that much better but a new caliber and all it will take a couple of years to get it up here.

Ahhh, the gun shipping problem, it goes like this. The US government requires US companies to get permits to export guns. Each make, model and caliber requires its own permit and the process travels at the governments speed. Our side of the border doesn't require anything other than I register the gun when i take possession - a 20 minute process with a $35 fee. How did you hear about the shipping problem?

Thank you on the show, we have a stout line up this year with over 40 critters in the 13 episodes. I just finished editing today, so tomorrow I might go chase a cat (mountain lion).

omega said:
choc-dog said:

Greg
The 30T/C will match the 30/06 with the 150 grain bullet but in a short action.

isnt this EXACTLY what the .308 was designed to do back in the 1950's??? :think: i guess there must be something different about the .30 t/c, though . . . .

Hornady has propellent and pressure testing technology that a handloader cannot match.

Bingo! I agree with that statement. Very evident reloading the .204ruger. Matching the velocity and accuracy of factory loadings in that cartridge is a challenge!

Doohan,

Hornady has a "special blend" of powder made for them from a source in Canada they use in the .204. They buy it 50 gallon drums.

Hodgdon it going to release a powder next year we can use to make the 204 faster than we can presently with available powders. I had hoped Hodgdon would have released it this year but they are still testing it for the 204,223,22/250 and up.

choc-dog

n8dawg6 said:
isnt this EXACTLY what the .308 was designed to do back in the 1950's??? :think: i guess there must be something different about the .30 t/c, though . . . .
I'm not sure. I do know that the 308 in factory loads is usually 150 fps slower than the '06.
The 30 T/C does utilize a new cartridge design and powder and so far slightly exceeds the '06 velocities with a fraction less powder.

What gets me is on the hornady webpage the .308 lite magnum cartridge is the same speed as the .30TC,same bullet same diameter.Why a heavy
rifle for a cal. most folks don't want.
I love a .308 but for whitetails.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back