How to commit to a rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on! If nothing else was obvious from the recent shortages, the fact that ammunition supplies are fluid. Nicest firearm in your house is not much good without ammo. It's still a "Happy Time" - delivered to our doors in whatever quantity we deem appropriate (at least in most of our country). Plan ahead.

Haven't done too much work with 170s yet. But with Sierras and Hornadys of that weight, I've gotten encouraging results with 36 grains of Hodgdon LVR.
I did just get some H335. That's an old friend to me in the .30-30.
If I need heavier ball than a 150 grain, I have some 200s for my .35 Remington...
I NEED to get an aperture sight for this old girl. The opens are an extremely limiting factor in load development.

As I sit here eyballing the 500-ish .308 diameter bullets I have that I thought I wanted for .300 blackout ... and discovering that the available bolt guns in .300bo are either unobtainium, expensive, or not worth it... I sure am glad that my 762x39 bolt gun shoots .308 bullets good :) Of course once I sell of my RAR 300bo I might get something else in the caliber... but probably not.

Shootables commit you to a caliber or maybe a chambering ... rifles can always come and go :)

Before I bought my "perfect" rifle/caliber I studied and read about the cartridge. Turned out I liked it and and now own two; a Savage M99 and a Ruger M77. The caliber? It's the .250 Sav. I've killed deer with with most everything from a .22 Hornet to a .338 Win mag and heavy 45/70 loads, revolvers from the .357 to .41 and .44 mags and flintlock muzzleloaders with patched round balls from .45 up to .62 (20 ga).

My favorite of all was/is the .250 Sav. There are also a few others that are almost 1st choice. The .257 Roberts, the .350 Rem mag in a special M700 edition and the .243. Unfortunately I had to sell my precious Roberts when we moved. I loved the Roberts in that Rem special edition classic rifle. The Roberts could never manage to equal the accuracy of the .250 Sav but it sure would reach way out there with authority. 100 grn bullets exceeded 3200 fps with a below max load.

Hanshi, mine used to be the .243 Win but now its the 7-08 Rem.
As far as bullets go, once this shortage hit I started casting for all my CFs. I figured as long as I was casting for the muzzys I may as well buy some antimony and start casting for the CFs. I case all my pistol bullets, 9mm and .45 and for the rifles, 309", 377", 7mm, and .458"

The .250-3000... Always wanted one, preferably a Savage Model 1920 with the Lyman bolt plug aperture sight. And 1-10 twist barrel...
Reading Larry Kohler's " Shots at Whitetails " got me hooked on aperture sights and hungry for a .250.

Back