My 760 at 200 yards.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first time for my .35 Remington at 200.
The load is the 200 grain Core Lokt over 45 grains of Hodgdon LVR. Chrono'd velocity is 2285 fps.
Zeroed the Leupold M8 4x at 100 yards.
Drop is 5 & 1/2 inches. Seriously not shabby!
Her trigger was a bit of an issue today. Might see about doing something about it. But at 310 rounds down range, she isn't even broken in yet.
I must say I am impressed. With accuracy and trajectory like this, she's a solid 200 yard rifle.
And the butter soft Core Lokts will cause some chaos on impact.

Attachments

• 20230629_210115.jpg
    20230629_210115.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The first time for my .35 Remington at 200.
The load is the 200 grain Core Lokt over 45 grains of Hodgdon LVR. Chrono'd velocity is 2285 fps.
Zeroed the Leupold M8 4x at 100 yards.
Drop is 5 & 1/2 inches. Seriously not shabby!
Her trigger was a bit of an issue today. Might see about doing something about it. But at 310 rounds down range, she isn't even broken in yet.
I must say I am impressed. With accuracy and trajectory like this, she's a solid 200 yard rifle.
And the butter soft Core Lokts will cause some chaos on impact.
I too owned a 760 Rem and was surprised with its accuracy for a pump. I'd probably still have it if it weren't for that .30-06 recoil.

They can give a bit of a bump. Especially if the scope is mounted in homage to the Mosin Nagant. Gets a running jump before it belts ya in the chops.
My .35 isn't terrible. But you KNOW something happened when you pulled the trigger. A 200 grain bullet moving at nearly 2300 fps is serious.
The dust cloud at 200 was most satisfying...

They can give a bit of a bump. Especially if the scope is mounted in homage to the Mosin Nagant. Gets a running jump before it belts ya in the chops.
My .35 isn't terrible. But you KNOW something happened when you pulled the trigger. A 200 grain bullet moving at nearly 2300 fps is serious.
The dust cloud at 200 was most satisfying...
i'm jealous

The pump series has always been more accurate than the autos mostly because of a free floated barrel. Someday I’m going to pop for one in 6mm or 243

Greg

Okee Dokee, I'll be that guy. And I am still willing to learn that things may have changed.
Been shooting .35 REM since 1974, a WholeDagnabitLot. Federal 200gr Hi-Shok and Remington
200gr Core Lokt where my first ammo purchases. Core Lokt made me track whitetails so I decided
that it just may be the ticket for Alaskan brownies. Hi-Shok had exit holes like a nickel balloon.
I see no reason to use LVR powder in .35 REM unless it is the only choice left. H4895
and Varget are my two choices for the classic reasons: They'll light in Alaska's coldest winter
or Kolkata's hottest day with negligible differences in POI. Most reloaders that I respect have
gaffed off LVR and CFE223 because of significant POI shift as a match day
got warmer. [I've never understood using IMR 4064 in 7.62 when H4895 was available, either.]
Yeah, 35 REM load data manuals show @ +7Kpsi differences in max loads with various powders.
But for me to load 45gr of LVR in 35 REM, it would have to be in a bolt action.

Cr, yoozgots skilz, suh. And a great rifle in a great caliber. God Bless.

Yes those 20 gr Corelokts are devastating on deer. My hunting buddy has two 760s in 30-06 and they are both really good shooters and will hold their own alongside a lot of bolt actions.

Haven't yet noticed a temp shift with LVR in my 760. The consistency of her point of impact, to zero, is almost boring. Doesn't seem to matter on a 20° February day, or 90° in July.
Mind you, I don't shoot hot barrels. 3 rounds and let it cool a bit.
The 45 gr charge isn't a +P type. I've no use for that idea myself. If I wanted .358 ballistics I'd have bought a .358.
But! Expansion in a lower velocity round like the .35 can be an issue when reaching out a wee bit. In my case, the extra 285 fps IS useful.
Using the classic signs that loads are getting warm, in the. 35 Remington is pointless. By the time case web/ head expansion and primer flattening occur, you're already WAY beyond S.A.A.M.I. maximums.
Yup. The 760 is a good stout rifle. BUT! The .35 Remington case is not particularly strong. Doesn't need to be. To me, better to down load a .358 than up load a .35.
You may be surprised to hear how many people have recommended making her a .358.
Ummmm... No.

Latest posts

Back