Hummmm...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do LIKE my 99 Savage. Fine rifle made better by fine sights.
But I have to say, I like my muzzleloaders BETTER! Oddly, they've become, well, simpler to me.
No cases, no case length issues, seating depth and don't forget barrel heat and copper fouling.
I plan on many happy times with my breechloader. But, I have the sneaky suspicion, my frontstuffers will still be more fun!

I enjoy my ML's in the warm weather months. Once the snow flies and it gets below freezing the thought of going home and cleaning in water starts to make my enthusiasm wane. But I still like to shoot, so its the "other kind" time of year.
But there is something about the flash and bang of a well tuned lock followed by the boom. Nothing better.

Except in sub-zero weather, where I don't care to be outside all that much, especially if the Wind Chill Index is pushing the temperature being experienced even lower than the actual ambient temperature; I have always preferred to shoot a flintlock rifle, as opposed to either a percussion muzzleloading rifle, or any type of centerfire rifle/handgun.

Unless there is heavy rain, wet snow, extremely high humidity, or so much wind that the priming powder is being blown out of the lock's pan before the flint can scrape the frizzen & ignite the powder; a well tuned flintlock lock is capable of such fast ignition that a shooter that has never experienced shooting a rifle equipped with such a lock, will simply not believe anyone telling him that it can be so.

Like any muzzleloading weapon, a flintlock rifle is going to require certain loading procedures in order to maximize its efficiency/effectiveness.

Once learned, these procedures, if executed the exact same way, in the exact same sequence, every single time that a rifle is loaded/shot, will ensure that near 99.99% ignition is the norm, with hangfires/misfires an extremely rare occurrence. Only weather conditions, such as described above, will interfere with that 99.99% ignition.

In reply to an earlier question, I use Win 64 gr spire point and 4350 in my 1 in 8 twist Ackley imp swift. Ruger 77R. glassed, floated, Med 26 " Douglas and 12X Leupold cross hair dot ret. -1/2" MOA, I miss, My fault! BTW C Man I have all of the mentioned 'cept the 40-60. Shoot cast in all and they are a hoot to shoot. Trader

Where will this lead to?
Probably a black powder cartridge gun. Mayhaps a .50-70? .44 WCF? .38 WCF? .32-40 or even a .38-55? Always though the .40-60 had a nice ring to it.
Oh my...
I would love to own a Shiloh Sharps 1874 .38-55 Saddle Rifle with the 26" half octagon/half round barrel.

Or, perhaps a Henry Side Gate lever-action rifle in .38-55

In reply to an earlier question, I use Win 64 gr spire point and 4350 in my 1 in 8 twist Ackley imp swift. Ruger 77R. glassed, floated, Med 26 " Douglas and 12X Leupold cross hair dot ret. -1/2" MOA, I miss, My fault! Trader
I thought I was the only one left in this world that ran a 12X loopy on my .220, but mine's a #1 instead of a 77.

Back