Hunting turkeys with a muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flats1

Reaction score
Were i'm hunting at you have to use either a bow or use a muzzleloader. I wanted to know how much damage shooting a turkey with a sabot (shockwave) it wold do to the turkey? Has anybody done it? Also can you shoot shot out of your rifled barrled muzzleleoader? Thanks

IMO bird shot does not pattern well out of a rifled barrel. Should be a smooth bore. Also, not sure what if any damage you'd do to the rifling but it not worth the risk.
As far as shooting turkey, I have no experience with turkeys but I've seen the damage a bullet does to deer and based on that I think you wouldn't have much turkey to eat unless you made a head shot.

Turkeys

When I first started hunting turkeys in Alabama it was legal (and still is) to hunt them with a centerfire pistol. The first bird that I ever harvested was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk, 10-1/2" barrel, .44 mag, shooting a 240gr. jacketed soft-point. Seems like it was pushing about 1750 fps, but don't quote me on that. The bird was walking toward me like a T-rex, if you've ever seen them walking, and I hit him about 3" above the beard. The slug exited between his fan and his thighs, if you can imagine. Pretty well field-dressed him, but didn't mess up any breast meat. The thighs and legs are pretty much dog-food, anyway.

I was thinking the same thing that it would just rip the turkey apart. Can any one recomend a good muzzleleoader shotgun? We have a CVA Optima and I found out that you can by a interchangable muzzleloading barrel for it. Has anybody used that? If so is it any good?

CVA Optima should work just fine.

Knight are good.I use White and a CVA Double Barrel.

oneshot

If it were legal here in Indiana I would have had my .45 cal SMI out for the spring season. I have a mild load that shoots great with a .38 cal SWC, and I don't see that bullet doing much damage.

I have a pair of Knight TK2000 muzzleloading shotguns (one with a thumbhole stock and one regular stock) that are quite effective turkey guns.
I have never seen the CVA ml shotgun, but I would suspect it would do fine.

tooldog

tooldog said:
I have a pair of Knight TK2000 muzzleloading shotguns (one with a thumbhole stock and one regular stock) that are quite effective turkey guns.
I have never seen the CVA ml shotgun, but I would suspect it would do fine.

tooldog

Here is my CVA.Too bad they don't make these anymore
000_1640ft.jpg

oneshot

Wow, that looks like a nice shotgun. I've wanted a side by side for some time but I'll have to find a used one to afford it. Does that CVS have screw-in or fixed chokes?

tooldog.

tooldog said:
Wow, that looks like a nice shotgun. I've wanted a side by side for some time but I'll have to find a used one to afford it. Does that CVS have screw-in or fixed chokes?

tooldog.

No this Gun has MOD. both Barrels.But if you want you can adjust the Load to either open or close up the pattern.Its good on Turkeys about 30 yards.

I'm wanting to take it Pheasant hunting this Fall.

oneshot

Latest posts

Back