I Have Lost My Mind

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned many types of 1911s, Colt, Springfield,Remington, Kimber and my personal favorite, the Ruger SR 1911. I reload for the .45, some folks call it the .45 Long Colt and the .45ACP. I have carbines, levers and many different types of revolvers in .45. If I could only have one caliber, guess what it would be? I am also the only officer on our force that carries a .45ACP (Glock 21). The one I shoot the most is a TC Encore pistol. Enjoy your 1911 John, you are carrying a small piece of history around with you. Also, shoot it as much as you can!!

Jerry

I wrote to Buffalo Bore Ammunition to inquire about .348 rounds. 
This is their reply:

"Right now Winchester is the only maker of 348 brass and we've had that brass
on order for over two years, with no response from Winchester. When they
make a run of that brass, we will make more ammo.

Tim"
:confused:

I have written to Winchester. I await a reply.

So, please, reach out to your contacts for me? Apparently, I need to find a die and brass and perhaps ammo that some one else is not interested in using? It seems I WILL be re-loading if I want to play with this rifle. 
:study:

Thanks!

"But, for rifles, it comes down to the case trimming that puts me off. 
Each time a brass case is fired, it stretches. At a certain length the brass is 
no longer within acceptable specification. That throat seems a lot less straight 
forward than with handgun casings."

Just buy a rotary case trimmer with the different pilots that fit almost every caliber.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/448512/rcbs-trim-pro-2-manual-case-trimmer?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CN6Swuv1vcoCFYEmHwodEKwP9g

All of these gizmos cost money and it adds up but if you're going to buy guns that shoot obsolete cartridges, it's the only practical way to go. I have 3 presses and over 2 dozen die sets for loading different cartridges. I don't have .348 dies.

If you will supply me with the components (a pound of IMR 4350, the dies, and a box of large rifle primers [CCI 200 or Federal 210], Hornady .348 200 gr. flat point bullets, and 50 cases, I will reload 50 of them for you and send them back.) 
They will be slightly undersized in order to fit your chamber. They will expand on the first firing and then will only have to be neck-sized for a few reloadings after that until full sized reloading will be necessary again. Buying all this stuff isn't cheap but you can custom make all your ammo to provide the most efficient and accurate loads for YOUR guns. Every chamber is different and shoots a bit differently.

In a previous post you mentioned that you like to learn new things now that you're retired. Well, here's your chance. It's not as hard as you think but you have to get used to a lot of new nomenclature and processes. Plus it's fun, relaxing, and very satisfying when your ammo is producing 1/2" groups.

If you decide to get into reloading, this is a good deal on an excellent press with a lot of goodies. RCBS is not the Rolls Royce of reloading quality but it is more like the Mercedes or Porsche. It is certainly not the Fiat.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449354/Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit-?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midsouth%20Shooters%20Supply&utm_content=1%2F18%2F16+Rock+Chucker+Kit+and+Giveaway

Bob, I will give it a go, I think. I am up for the odd challenge. I do like to learn. 
I am better at some things than others. We will see. Thanks for the kind offer.
:study:

(I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I am not retired. I just work long hours and multitask.)
:sleep:

This may be entertaining for others as I bumble through! :affraid:

I have looked at the Rock Chucker. Is this the simplest? I need simple.  :rabbit:

Chucker_zpsnjrmghos.jpg

And, I found a selection of .348 die sets. Please, tell me what I need? 
There is a dizzying array of selection and options. :drunken:
http://www.midwayusa.com/348-winchester/br?cid=8213

PS. Winchester's REPLY... I don't really take it seriously. 

ME: 'Everywhere is out of stock on Win .348. Just bought the Model 71 Browning. 
HELP!'
Answer:
This product is currently out of stock due to the demand of other products. It is scheduled for production later in 2016. The best way to obtain this product would be to place an order with a local dealer in your area. As soon as this product is made available, that dealer would receive a shipment.
Best Regards,
Technical Services Dept.

I like RCBS and Redding. They both stand behind their products like Leupold does on their scopes. Plus their products are made the best. Lee is the cheapest .. with good reason. Lyman is terrible concerning customer service.

Of all those items in the starter kit only the powder dispenser is not really necessary IF you have a powder dribbler and a steady hand. The Nosler Manual usually shows the loads that are most accurate for all of my guns but they don't make a .348 bullet. Hornady does so Hornady's reloading manual is probably necessary but you might be able to pull up the info online.
If you can't,here is a 2400 ft/sec load for the 200 gr. bullet:
59.1 grains of IMR 4350 with a Federal 210 primer. Max. load is 60.7 gr.

The reloading manual will give a step-by-step process of how to reload shells. It's dull reading but important.

I have found a small amount of brass for the .348 Win.
This was not really that easy.

There are a fair amount of 'scalpers' out there asking 
ridiculous prices on old and limited stuff.

Graf & Sons had Jamison brass for sale at reasonable prices. 
I have a small amount on the way.

They posted the following which I assume is not unusual?

Due to the packaging and shipping process, case necks are often slightly dinged or bent and need to be rounded up and sized to give proper neck tension. New and/or fired cases must be full-length resized or have the expander ball of the sizing die run through the case neck prior to loading.

The resizing process takes care of any deformities except dents. Shooting the shell will take out the dents.

Be sure to lube your cases adequately before sizing. Be aware, though, that excessive lube can dent the cases when run through the die.

I would buy at least 50-100 empty cases especially if it's non-Winchester brass. The new Winchester brass is thinner than in the past and won't last as long as other brands.

Back