I haven't kilt that many hogs but

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhans53

Reaction score
I've shot 3 hogs, 1 a couple of years ago with a MK-85 with a 240 xtp, 2 this year one with a 250 xtp out of my ml 2 (90#) and the last one with a 7mm08 with 150 win power point 180#). the 2 this year were under 25 yards and the one a few years ago was around 40 yards. None of these hogs (all sows) had an exit wound seems strange to me I would think something should penitrate. Is this normal?? Thanks ron

None of these hogs (all sows) had an exit wound seems strange to me I would think something should penitrate. Is this normal??

Normal? It surely isn't ABnormal. I wouldn't consider any of those bullet super-duper penetrators, but doing plenty of work within the animal to insure a swift kill. MOST of the bullets I've used on hogs HAVE been complete pass thrus..... .429 240gr A-Frames, XTPs, Speers; 260gr Platinum Tips; 460gr .45cal conicals; 260gr .451 Partition Golds; and 275gr Ballistic Extremes...all pass thrus. But have seen several 300gr XTP kills that DIDN'T pass thru but were probably some of the cleaner/swifter kills.

6 x 6 thanks for the imput, I've asked a couple of my co-workers that have harvested a few hogs and the have come up with the same that most of theirs have been pass threws. I'm not complaining about the effects of the bullets, the 2 shot with the ML's both dropped like rocks and the last one went maybe 20 yards and I saw her go down. I think I might have to go to partitions on the 7 though.

Back