I just cast 9#s of round balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
About 115 balls out of my new Lyman .715 mold.

They are some of my hard lead, they shoot really good out of my .62.

I just made up some new targets from targetz.com, so maybe tomorrow I can shoot and clock some speeds.

I want to try FFF out of the .73 and see how they group, 125 grains of FFF shots just fine out of the .62.

125 grains out of your .62 caliber.. WOW that is a good strong load. It should bring down about anything you might want to hunt. That .73 caliber, is that like a custom caliber? I've heard of the .72 caliber in the Brown Bess. Even watched them shooting the Bess one time (never got to my self) and the man at the re-enactment said they were loaded with 70 grains and a roundball. I would have guessed more powder but I am also thinking that might have been all the military thought necessary for killing people...

I will be watching for your posts.... :mrgreen:

Not a load I'd care to sit down and do some casual shooting with. :) What are those round balls weighing in at? What powder?

quigleysharps4570 said:
Not a load I'd care to sit down and do some casual shooting with. :) What are those round balls weighing in at? What powder?

Ball weight is 544 grain and the powder is Goex.

Out of my 26" barrel with Goex 3F

.715 RB, 545 grain Hard Lead

Grains

100.........1200 fps

I did some more shooting with the 100 grain load at 50 yds. I darkened my front sight pin, and it helped.
73-100FFF.jpg

FFF = FF
100.....140-1200fps
150.....190-1400

I changed to a thinner white Levi patch, .015 and it loads much better, but still need a wad, so that I don't tear the patches!

quigleysharps4570, I shot a deer with this load, using a pure lead RB [190FF] and it might have been a bit of overkill! I think the 1200fps load will do just fine on deer. Elk and Moose......MORE POWDER!

BCS ... that is some outstanding shooting!!! Excellent, couldn't say more. Although you realize.. now if your hunting and miss, they are going to really tear into you because we know it is not the rifles fault.. :D

Excellent shooting!

cayuga said:
BCS ... that is some outstanding shooting!!! Excellent, couldn't say more. Although you realize.. now if your hunting and miss, they are going to really tear into you because we know it is not the rifles fault.. :D

Excellent shooting!

Miss, what is a miss? I have a deep bag of excuses!

My biggest problem is not have another one standing behind the one I am shooting, you could end up with more dead deer than you counted on.

Latest posts

Back