I lika my new Leica!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super 91

Reaction score
Well, as I told you guys I was going to do, I went and dropped the $ on the Leica Geovids laser binos. All I can say is WHOOOOOWEEEEE they is nice!!! They have better optics than my Zeiss binos, not by much mind you, but they do have a slight edge on them. They are very well-built, and have a host of wonderful features. The laser is very fast, and will read on just about anything! I bought the crooked horn straps from Wal-mart to put on them, and they fit so wonderfully with them on. I shot my bow with them on to make sure they would not be a problem, and I never knew they were there! They are not light, and weigh in just over 30 ounces, twice as much as my Zeiss's. But with them set up on that bino strap, you never know they are there, and I wore them all afternoon that way.

Now for the field test. I took them out and went to my folks place. By the barn we have had a pesky ground hog so we decided to see if we could slip into bow range and take him out. I had a broadhead on my arrow, and my friend had a judo point on his. We walk to the barn, and sure enough, about 45 yards out is the hog. He makes a run for his hole, but stops just over top of it to see what we are going to do. Paul whispers, "what's the range?". I quickly slip the binos up and instantly get 33 yards on the pig. I tell him and no sooner had I whispered the range than an arrow was on it's way. Thaawaappp!!! Perfect shot and one dead whistle pig. Now that is perfect Co training!

All in all I would HIGHLY recommend this setup to anyone who might be thinking of going the dual purpose route. Eagle Optics gave me a smoking deal on a brand new set, not any grey market or remanufactured stuff there. Cabela's listed these right at $2000.00 and Eagle gave them to me at $1550.00 An EXCELLENT deal if you consider the cost of good glass and a good rangefinder, plus you don't have to carry two things at once! If you do get a set, get the bino straps from Wal-mart, it's well worth the $14 and change for them!!

big6x6 said:
I've been thinking about them, BTW! :lol:
I know you comparison price shop, but give Eagle Optics a try before you buy. Very well run outfit. The Swarovskis gave me trouble, and I sent them back, even after using them in the field for a time. They were not scratched but still I tested them. They give you a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I used all 30 days. Exchanged no questions asked. Excellent prices and first class service.

As far as the binos are concerned, they are first rate. The only thing I have against them is the weight. But for roof prisms WITH a rangefinder, they are not bad at all. When I wear them with the bino system strap, I really don't pay any attention to the weight AT ALL. I think you would like them if you got them. Picture this. If you are glassing an animal walking to you, you can laser it and when it get's into range, ease the binos down and take the shot. There is no putting the a rangefinder away, or switching between rangefinder and bino. So far it has been wonderful to use them.

:D Excellent review there Super. I really enjoyed ur live G Hog test report! Doesnt get any closer to the real thing than that. Thats the kinda trainin I would love to do before a hunt. Forget all this range & punchin paper stuff. :lol:

Yep, I spend a good bit of time on the range, but once I get the groups I am looking for, I head for the field. You can do a lot of fine looking shooting on paper, but it's your skills in the field that bring home the bacon, even if it is just a whistle pig..... :lol: :lol:

I also decided to sell my Swarovski ELs and Leica 900 to go with the Geovids 10x42 rangefinding Binos. Boy what a treat not having to glass the animal, dig for a rangefinder, find a place to put it and then worry about the shot. While you are glassing find the animal, press a button, and make the shot. The glass is every bit as crisp and clear as my swarovskis. Like super 91 said the only drawback is weight but they weigh a little lighter if you put the swaro's and the leica rangefinder together with a whole lot less hassel.. Kudos to LEICA

I just got the Leica Ultravid 10x42's, as I didn't like the size and weight of the Geovids. I'm very, VERY happy as well. These put my Steiner Predators to shame, and I always thought very highly of them. If you don't want to go the dual route, I doubt there is a better pair of binos out there. $1350 at www.prophotosupply.com.

Back