16 twist 45 caliber remigton 700

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys been hard at work building a new target rifle/ test bed.
Thought I'd share my first shots putting on paper.
Started with a remington 700 basic long action ADL
Details on build
Rem 700 action
Walther/Lothar button rifled barrel 16 twist
1.203 straight profile.donated by Mt monkey thank you sir!
Arrowhead plug/modules. Donated by Mt monkey thank you sir.
Timmney trigger set at 2lbs
Nightforce 20 moa rail.
Arken 6to 24 x 50 EPL-4
stockies barging basement laminate ssit.
2 days of fitting lol......
Yet to make a brake had one almost done but I had a tool break in a hole more to come.
Here is the gun as finished in the shop.
20240218_060326.jpg
After thinking about it I had a pad and a rubber harmonic tunner laying around so on they went.
Here is thr configuration I shot today to get on paper at 25yards.

20240218_064514.jpg

So I was so excited I opened up the possible bag and had 5 sized bullets from the savage and they fit perfect nice to have 2 guns that use the same size bullet.
Bore sighted the gun and loaded up with 65grn RL 7 wool wad and 300 grn epps bullet and primed with a fed standard lrmp
Here are the first 3 shots ever out of the gun on paper20240218_171802.jpg
I'm very excited about the possibility of the way this gun shoots with heavy bullets.
Have some 250 275 300 grain furry and a few 325 pitmans to try
Will be intersting to see how this twist rate performs.
This is my first 700 build I had it in the lathe several times to get everything headspaced perfect.
Setting the breach plug and bolt clearance is a challenge but it worked out real good.
Getting excellent ignition.
Here is a short video of the first shot
View attachment 334702.mp4
Here is a side view in the rest 334839.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! Im curious about those rubber tuners. Are you going to shoot groups with and without it? Or have you already ?
I probably will shoot with and without.
And will add a compensator as time permits.
Today was about potential : will it cut a clean hole / will it shoot a tight group close up
Out of the gate it shows promise.
Clean hole/ tight group/ good ignition/ manageable recoil/ scope held up.
The gun is a test bed or "lab gun" if you will so lots of things to do yet.
The rubber dampness have worked really well on other platforms I don't see why it won't with this one. The physics are the same.

I did find a shop of that name in Canad, but didnt see any .45 diameter bullets. I just saw bullets for 303 British? I currently use Arrowhead and Furys, and going to test out some Barnes. Do you hunt with the Epps bullets?

I did find a shop of that name in Canad, but didnt see any .45 diameter bullets. I just saw bullets for 303 British? I currently use Arrowhead and Furys, and going to test out some Barnes. Do you hunt with the Epps bullets?
Barnes and this next fall, Fury too.

I don't think I ever heard/saw a 1:16 twist for ML barrel. The rifle is beautiful-I hope you continue to produce good results! Keep us updated. Question- never heard of "Epps" bullets??
Cecil was my first contact in the muzzleloader industry.
So I bought some stuff from him. It works and is accurate.
I think that the technology has improved since. With better profiles and higher BCs
Where I think the tighter twist will shine.
Yet ti be seen.
obviously didnt hurt the shorter bullets.

I'll be trying some furry and pitmans thru it.
I'm using up the PRB stuff to zero and get on paper.
Saving the furries and pitmans to shoot groups once I set everything up.

I hunted with them last year.
I tried a bunch of stuff and had to settle on those.
I didn't have an opportunity on game so I can't report on there performance..
My opinion of them is they
Ought to do fine behind the shoulder..
As a rule I shoot for the heart/lung
Might not hold up like a mono on a quartering shot.

I asked because I have a Savage that has a laminated stock on it, and I love the looks of yours. Good thing is it adds weight and for the recoil behind the 300 grain HTP is there but I don't feel it. One stop shop and drop. So no complaints about weight. Nice job on yours !!

I asked because I have a Savage that has a laminated stock on it, and I love the looks of yours. Good thing is it adds weight and for the recoil behind the 300 grain HTP is there but I don't feel it. One stop shop and drop. So no complaints about weight. Nice job on yours !!
I liked it very much too.
Got that one from stockies
They had it on sale for a couple Benjamin's
It shoots very light in the recoil department which is good. I will be adding a muzzle brake real soon. It had some lift off the rest I saw in tge video.that messes with follow thru so I need to correct that asap.hope to develop something that is effective and sabot friendly in the near future.
I shot it in a coat so added padding.
Because I'm going to be shooting it alot this summer I went ahead and installed a decelerator recoil pad to add to the cushion.
Grind to fit came out pretty good.
The remigton pad helped but the pachmyers
Are the Cadillac.

My first was a savage barrel nut gun.
Its a hand full off the bench.
I probably will build a full shank savage next in 16 twist. I already have the barrel and donor gun. I believe I have a manners fiberglass stock to drop it in also. A retro precision rig.
Every thing is there but the time. Lol.

Do you happen to have the mv and bullet information? I'm working on load development for a SW460 TC Encore rifle with a 1:16

Right now I shoot three bullets, which depends on whether I'm just shooting to stay in tune with the gun at the range or actually hunting. 200 grain , .40 cal XTPs for the general range shooting. 195 grain Barnes Expander in .40 cal has been the hunting bullet thus far. A 225 grain Fury Star Tip will be hunted during the "24" season this fall. Each bullet is shot with a fixed, 56 grain charge, of IMR4198 in a blue, non-crush rib, Harvester sabot. Winchester 209 primers. The only chrono work I've done with any of the loads was pretty much impromptu and I didn't record the FPS, but memory recalls the 195 and 200 going downrange at around 2350 or so, but probably a bit faster than that.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have the mv and bullet information? I'm working on load development for a SW460 TC Encore rifle with a 1:16
I have a SW 460 XVR Magnum barrel for my TC Encore Pro Hunter. I shot one deer with it. Hit it in the shoulder and the devastation was way too much . I will not shoot another deer with it. I'll save it for an elk hunt some day.

Back